Re: [PPLetterpress] C&P 10x15 scoring and diecutting?

  • Ellen Bibb
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2011
      Thank you for your feedback. That's exactly what I needed to know . . . and I will try it!!

      Ellen Bibb

      On Jul 27, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Fritz Klinke wrote:

      Not just because I sell the materials, but scoring on a C&P is relatively easy. A job can be set up and be running in a few minutes. I can’t imagine taking a simple scoring job to someone else when a press is at hand and the materials are inexpensive and easy to use. Perforating takes maybe a little longer to set up, but again is basic stuff. And a score from a source like Kinkos will not be a letterpress score, but something done on a machine that attempts to imitate letterpress quality. It’s ok to unlock that Boxcar base and replace it with a real letterpress form in order to score.

      Fritz/NA Graphics

      Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:56 AM
      Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] C&P 10x15 scoring and diecutting?

      To score on press, you would use scoring rule and creasing matrix. You can get 30" long pieces of each from NA Graphics for under $10 (or you can invest and buy in bulk quantities). Its not hard to set up, then you feed your sheets through, so it becomes an issue of time is money. Don't know what Kinkos charges for the service, and you always face the risk of having things go wrong (haha, even if you do it yourself). I think the worst thing I have done is hand perf 750 sheets using a Fiskars rotary perf unit. I also hand score using this unit with a scoring wheel, but generally am only doing 100 sheets at a time. I think I would set up my press if I had to do 250 or more at one time.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
        My son stopped by the shop last week while I was cleaning our SP-25.  I showed him the new bearings I got for the ink rollers...he laughed.

        He pointed out that they were identical to skateboard bearings...I went around the corner to the skateboard shop and not only are they identical, but the skate bearings seem much more heavy duty.

        Something to ponder for next time.

        Bill
        Big Wheel Press
      • Chad Pastotnik
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
          Are these the Nyliner sleeves which go on the ends of the ink roller cores?

          ___________________________
          Chad Pastotnik
          Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
          http://www.deepwoodpress.com

        • nohogallery@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
            Its the ball bearing for the form rollers.  The skateboard ones are made for abuse and smooth rides and cost a lot less.

            Are these the Nyliner sleeves which go on the ends of the ink roller cores?

            ___________________________
            Chad Pastotnik
            Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
            http://www.deepwoodpress.com

            On Aug 3, 2011, at 11:15 AM, nohogallery@... wrote:

            > My son stopped by the shop last week while I was cleaning our SP-25. I showed him the new bearings I got for the ink rollers...he laughed.
            >
            > He pointed out that they were identical to skateboard bearings...I went around the corner to the skateboard shop and not only are they identical, but the skate bearings seem much more heavy duty.
            >
            > Something to ponder for next time.
            >
            > Bill
            > Big Wheel Press

          • Mike Dacey
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
              Interesting - the bearings on the SP20 are much bigger than skateboard bearings.

              Be warned that many skateboard bearings come with one side of the bearing exposed - they are meant to be used in pairs and the bearings are set into the wheels with the exposed sides facing each other, effectively sealed off from the elements. I would make sure that you're getting sealed bearings if using them on a press where both sides are exposed.
              -----

              Mike Dacey

              Repeat Press
              Custom Letterpress Printing

              9 Olive Square
              Somerville, MA 02143
              617.299.0918

              www.repeatpress.com
              www.facebook.com/repeatpress
              @repeatpress

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2011
                Vandercook obviously did not make all the parts for their presses in house. They out sourced. And so can you. I once wrote to them, the real Vandercook (yeah, imagine that—I mean the writing of a real letter) regarding the need for a broken pin. They were out of stock, price was $20, but they suggested I try my local hardware store. No local hardware store carried anything like this but I happened upon an industrial supply outlet that did. $20 the guy said, same thing Vandercook wanted. Difference was, he was talking about a box full of 20, Vandercook was talking about one item. Good ole Vandercook. God bless em. Still.

                So yeah, likely a lot of this stuff can be found round and about, and a great deal cheaper, if you can figure out how to get it. Lot easier today than previously.

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dacey <dace@...> wrote:

                > Interesting - the bearings on the SP20 are much bigger than skateboard
                > bearings.
                >
                > Be warned that many skateboard bearings come with one side of the bearing
                > exposed - they are meant to be used in pairs and the bearings are set into
                > the wheels with the exposed sides facing each other, effectively sealed off
                > from the elements. I would make sure that you're getting sealed bearings if
                > using them on a press where both sides are exposed.
                > -----
                >
                > Mike Dacey
                >
                > Repeat Press
                > Custom Letterpress Printing
                >
                > 9 Olive Square
                > Somerville, MA 02143
                > 617.299.0918
                >
                > www.repeatpress.com
                > www.facebook.com/repeatpress
                > @repeatpress <http://www.twitter.com/repeatpress>
                >

                > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM, <nohogallery@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Its the ball bearing for the form rollers. The skateboard ones are made
                > > for abuse and smooth rides and cost a lot less.

              • Mike Dacey
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4, 2011
                  Definitely true - I now have a lifetime supply of rider roller bolts for a 10x15 windmill -  I found them by the dozen on McMaster-Carr after talking to someone who wanted $40 for a pair of OEM bolts.
                  -----