Tonal oddity

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2003
      I recently printed a line illustration by Dwiggins and he
      inadvertently gave me the opportunity to insert some very tiny type
      (about 2 pt) within certain banners (newspaper, packaging,
      transportation signage)! Which I took advantage of. So I exposed the
      plate as a halftone to try and adequately capture the small type.
      Oddly, as I began to edition, I was getting a tonal quality within (or
      between) tight angular line intersections. I was running a low relief
      plate and can only attribute this to accumulation of paper dust,
      ink/solvent residue, etc., lingering on the slope (itself the result
      of the long exposure) and slightly capturing ink from the rollers.

      I actually liked the effect and allowed it to continue throughout the
      run. But I was a bit taken aback by this. Has anyone experienced this
      effect or used it for this purpose?