Blurry plates

  • The Indian Hill Press
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2001
      Not sure what people mean by "blurry" plates, but we have had a
      consistent problem with our plates.

      We use metal-backed photopolymer to print heavy blockprint images -
      linocuts, basically. The problem is that the heavy image areas
      "spread," thinning out any white lines that appear within them. There
      appears to be nothing wrong with the negatives: they are on
      high-density film with emulsion up. The vacuum and contact are both
      fine. We cut the film smaller than the plates and leave lots of room
      around the edges to trim. We've tried reducing exposure time to no
      avail.

      I am wondering if photopolymer is not intrinsically vulnerable to
      "spread" because the material itself is transparent. In areas of
      heavy exposure, where the film is perfectly clear for a large
      stretch, might the light not "halo" into the surrounding material (or
      reflect off the metal backing), thus hardening it?

      Experiencing this problem with plates made by a professional
      platemaking service, we went to a friend's shop and did our own
      experiments. The phenomenon persists. I wonder if anybody else has
      had this problem, and what (if any) the cure might be.

      Dan Waters
      Indian Hill Press
      Martha's Vineyard
    • Frank Cabral
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2001
        The Indian Hill Press wrote:

        > Not sure what people mean by "blurry" plates, but we have had a
        > consistent problem with our plates.
        >
        > appears to be nothing wrong with the negatives: they are on
        > high-density film with emulsion up.

        When I place the negative on the plate it is right reading emulsion down. I
        have, by mistake exposed the film with the emulsion up and always get a
        plate that appears to have been overexposed.

        Frank Cabral
        Black Oak Press
        Nevada City, California

      • Frank Cabral