Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Making negatives

  • Joel D. Sherman
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 11, 2003
      Hi Gerald,

      This process seems to work pretty well for text. I can't say they match the
      quality of negatives made on an imagesetter. The process is still being
      developed, so more tests should be made.

      A rather heavy coat of Laser Buddy increases the density of the toner
      enough to substantially reduce black speckling in clear parts of the
      negative caused by light leaking through the toner. The difference is
      noticeable if you have solid areas in your image. I think that minimizing
      the exposure time also helps reduce the amount of light that leaks through
      the toner.

      Joel

      --On Sunday, March 09, 2003 7:02 AM +0000 Gerald Lange
      <bieler@...> wrote:

      > Joel
      >
      > Thanks for posting this. Harry had sent me something previously, but
      > mentioned you would be finishing up a more precise description. Bit
      > surprised about A&V's contribution. Does this work well for text? or
      > are you mainly concentrating on images?
      >
      > Is the Laser Buddy a crucial step? or would a secondary chemical bath
      > help improve the opacity? I remember that Xante recommended a second
      > bath to improve the opacity with their bath unit.
      >
      > Gerald
      >

      >> This is Joel Sherman, the print lab tech at UCSB, working with Harry
      >> Reese. Some of you may be interested in the process we've been using
      >> here for making our own negatives. Go to:
      >>
      >> http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/staff/sherman/printlab/pages/main.html
      >>
      >> then click on:
      >>
      >> How to make negatives for photopolymer plates
      >>
      >> I've been refining this process from a data sheet I got from
      >> Anderson&Vreeland.
      >> Daylight contact film is about $1.50 per 10x12 sheet and comes in
      >> packs of 100. Transparency overlay is about $.40 per sheet. AB lith
      >> developer is about $20.00 for a one gallon set from freestylephoto and
      >> will develop many sheets.
      >>
      >> Joel
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > ? Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > ? To unsubscribe:

    • Joel D. Sherman
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 31, 2004
        Hello Gerald,

        My name is Joel Sherman, and I work at UCSB. You may remember the
        information I posted a while back about homemade negatives.

        I am nearing completion of rebuilding an sp15 which was donated to us
        recently. I plan to follow the instructions you posted for adjusting the
        cylinder carriage and am looking for 36pt steel rule and .001 tissue paper.
        I work with Harry Reese, who told me you are selling some things, and may
        have these items. I checked your ebay listings and didn't see anything.

        If you have either of these, please let me know what you want to sell them
        for.

        Thanks,

        Joel Sherman

        <bieler@...> wrote:

        > Joel
        >
        > Thanks for posting this. Harry had sent me something previously, but
        > mentioned you would be finishing up a more precise description. Bit
        > surprised about A&V's contribution. Does this work well for text? or
        > are you mainly concentrating on images?
        >
        > Is the Laser Buddy a crucial step? or would a secondary chemical bath
        > help improve the opacity? I remember that Xante recommended a second
        > bath to improve the opacity with their bath unit.
        >
        > Gerald
        >

        >> This is Joel Sherman, the print lab tech at UCSB, working with Harry
        >> Reese. Some of you may be interested in the process we've been using
        >> here for making our own negatives. Go to:
        >>
        >> http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/staff/sherman/printlab/pages/main.html
        >>
        >> then click on:
        >>
        >> How to make negatives for photopolymer plates
        >>
        >> I've been refining this process from a data sheet I got from
        >> Anderson&Vreeland.
        >> Daylight contact film is about $1.50 per 10x12 sheet and comes in
        >> packs of 100. Transparency overlay is about $.40 per sheet. AB lith
        >> developer is about $20.00 for a one gallon set from freestylephoto and
        >> will develop many sheets.
        >>
        >> Joel
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > [Image: 300x250_111_1.gif] [Image: "width=1 height=1 src="]
        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > ? Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > ? To unsubscribe:

        Joel Sherman
        (805)893-3367
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 31, 2004
          Joel

          I was just checking on full face steel rule and it isn't made wider than
          4 pts. You can get brass barweld (full face) rule from Caslon Limited
          but it will literally cost you an arm and a leg (I've been toying with
          the idea of an order for some 18-pt). You might try to find some new
          36pt full face lead rule and just cut that to fit the press (about 17
          inches on a SP-15).

          Tissue can be picked up most any place. New York Central Supply sells a
          pretty good tissue. But these days I use .001 acetate for this. You can
          usually get this at a graphic art supply store, if not, .001 tracing
          paper will do.

          I have some ink test strip steel bars at .918 but they are 3/4 of an
          inch wide and 19-3/4 inches long. We used these on a SP-20 for testing
          and as roller supports. You'd have to chop off some three inches and
          this is some very hard steel.

          Gerald