Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Need a new solvent ASAP!

    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 8, 2011
      Water color sounds nice but I don't like the idea of water on the press as it's not designed for that.

      I've used WM (water miscable) wash from Lithco - straight up - for some years. It's not stinky. Works great. I wear solvent resistant gloves from the hardware store. I have lots of nitrile gloves in a drawer but found they don't last long. And acetone goes right through them (use acetone only for taking off dead dry hardened ink, as little as possible. It does clean up old wood type very nicely though ;-)

      I can't imagine using veg oil. Yuck.
      When I had composition rollers on the old C&p I did use non-detergent SAE30 for wiping the rollers. Works great. But not on rubber!

      Btw a tip for when you miss a sheet and print on the tympan: don't ever use solvent to wipe it off. Only makes it worse and ruins five following sheets instead of one or two. I'll wipe it off with a dry rag powdered with talcum. Dries it right up AND prevents diaper rash!

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Slowprint.com / Semiotx.com
      google voice 1 563 223 8231

      From iPhone plz excuse brevity!

      On Jul 8, 2011, at 9:56 AM, nohogallery@... wrote:

      We went the vegetable oil route for a while, but as green as it is it leaves a horrible sticky film behind.

      The best odorless mineral spirit is Gamsol by Gamblin Oil Paints if you must use mineral spirits.  It has a low flash point and the best PEL (OSHA's standard for permissible exposure levels)

      Sunnyside solvents are the lowest grade of all mineral spirits containing the highest KB value among other mineral spirits.  The KB test (Kauri-butanol value) measures the solvent power of a hydrocarbon.  They are not highly refined and place lots of crap in the air.

      One rule of thumb with solvents is if it smells good stay away from it!  Citrus based solvents do not evaporate fast enough to remove the toxic materials they dissolve; leaving them floating in the air.  They also continue to dissolve if any film is left behind.  Oil painters have seen their palettes dissolve when leaving citrus solvent on the palettes over night.  Also because of their slow evaporation rate they can also cause damage to the cilia in the lungs.  It is also suspected to be a liver and kidney toxin. Does anyone remember Banana Oil...smelled nifty, but it was liquid brain damage

      We use California Wash in a 60/40 mix with water and  we love it.  We use it in a squirt bottle and use very little and ventilate well.

      Always leave your solvents covered.  Dispense only the minimum to get the job done.

      We are also researching Aqua Wash inks by Charbonnel.  They are water misable printing inks.  Just got a few color in and I am going to try it on one of our baby presses.

      Good luck.

      Bill
      Big Wheel Press

      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 20, 2011
        Well you know how it goes with products imported from Chna. . . . ;)