Re: [PPLetterpress] Craftsman tabletop press

  • Steve Robison
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011

      The type and size of press you describe is a Craftsmen "Superior."

      The Craftsmen Machinery Company is still in business, although they no longer manufacture parts for any of their old presses. But I do know that they still have old stock on their shelves and have ordered parts for my Craftsmen Imperial (5x8) as recently as this year. But I don't know if they have parts for the Superior. (see contact info below)

      There are any number of reputable places that carry or will make rollers and trucks to fit.

      I'm partial to rubber or synthetic rubber...especially for photopolymer.... because the rollers don't swell or shrink like old-style composition rollers. But well cared for composition rollers will also perform well if you take really good care of them between runs. Keep them cool and away from light and not touching any surfaces.  I will note what each of the following establishments carry:

      Here are a few contacts:

      RAMCO ROLLER PRODUCTS (Synthetic Rubber Rollers)
      Adrian Ramos & Jayne Ramos
      Phone: 909-592-1002   Fax:  909-599-5514
      241 W. Allen Ave
      San Dimas, CA 91773-1439
      They are located in Southern California near Los Angeles
      It's a small but experienced roller company that has made rollers and trucks for a couple of my presses. They don't do business via email or the web, so just call them! They are friendly folks.

      TARHEEL ROLLER & BRAYER COMPANY (Composition Rollers & Rubber Rollers)
      David H Hauser
      Email:   <hau6118@...>
      Web: www.tarheelroller.com
      Phone 336-766-9823
      Fax 336-766-4286
      6118 Winview Heights
      Clemmons, NC    (North Carolina)
      Good rollers. Good people.

      NA GRAPHICS ( Rubber Rollers and tons of other letterpress stuff too!)
      Fritz Klinke
      Phone 970-387-0212
      Fax 970-387-0127
      Email:  nagraph@...
      Web:  www.nagraph.com
      P.O. Box 467 (For US Postal Service mail and parcels only)
      4 Mears Ave. (For all other shipments -- UPS, FedEx, Truck Freight, etc,)
      Silverton, CO 81433   (Colorado)

      Also, you might also contact Sherwin Marks to see about rollers or roller specs for the Superior....

      Sherwin Marks
      Phone  508-376-2001
      Fax  508-376-2003
      Email <sales@...>
      PO Box 38
      840 Main St.
      Millis, MA 02054-0038   (Massachusetts)
      Sherwin Marks is the owner and a really nice guy and likes to support letterpress printers.

      Hope this helps!

      Best wishes,

      Steve Robison
      The Robison Press
      Belmont, California (about 25 miles south of San Francisco)