Craftsman tabletop press

  • Barbarian Press
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7 12:24 PM
      Greetings to all --

      We've recently acquired a Craftsman side-lever tabletop press, inner chase size 6.5 by 10 inches approximately, and we need to find roller trucks for it. We have one set of rollers which will need recovering soon (if not at once) but there are no trucks with them. I'm also wondering about finding a second chase.

      The press is virtually new. It's been stored for years and is a bit dusty and fly-specked, but it doesn't seem ever to have been used. I can't find anything on the casting in the way of a model number or name -- only "Craftsman". Does anyone know what this model was called, if anything? (The smaller ones had names like "Imperial" and "Victory", so I'm curious.)

      If anyone knows where I might find trucks and chases for this press, I'd be most obliged to hear of it.

      Best wishes, and thanks for any information,

      Crispin

      Crispin & Jan Elsted at Barbarian Press
      12375 Ainsworth Street
      Mission
      British Columbia   V4S 1L4
      Canada

      Tel. 604 826 8089
      E.mail. Barbarian_Press@...
      Website  www.barbarianpress.com
    • David McNamara
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7 1:15 PM
        NA Graphics will have trucks for it. At that size, it's probably either a Pilot or a Craftsmen Superior, which is a clone of the Pilot (make sure it's an A you're reading and not an E).
        __

        David

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7 7:47 PM
          Crispin,

          The type and size of press you describe is a Craftsmen "Superior."

          The Craftsmen Machinery Company is still in business, although they no longer manufacture parts for any of their old presses. But I do know that they still have old stock on their shelves and have ordered parts for my Craftsmen Imperial (5x8) as recently as this year. But I don't know if they have parts for the Superior. (see contact info below)

          There are any number of reputable places that carry or will make rollers and trucks to fit.

          I'm partial to rubber or synthetic rubber...especially for photopolymer.... because the rollers don't swell or shrink like old-style composition rollers. But well cared for composition rollers will also perform well if you take really good care of them between runs. Keep them cool and away from light and not touching any surfaces.  I will note what each of the following establishments carry:

          Here are a few contacts:

          RAMCO ROLLER PRODUCTS (Synthetic Rubber Rollers)
          Adrian Ramos & Jayne Ramos
          Phone: 909-592-1002   Fax:  909-599-5514
          241 W. Allen Ave
          San Dimas, CA 91773-1439
          They are located in Southern California near Los Angeles
          It's a small but experienced roller company that has made rollers and trucks for a couple of my presses. They don't do business via email or the web, so just call them! They are friendly folks.

          TARHEEL ROLLER & BRAYER COMPANY (Composition Rollers & Rubber Rollers)
          David H Hauser
          Email:   <hau6118@...>
          Web: www.tarheelroller.com
          Phone 336-766-9823
          Fax 336-766-4286
          6118 Winview Heights
          Clemmons, NC    (North Carolina)
          Good rollers. Good people.

          NA GRAPHICS ( Rubber Rollers and tons of other letterpress stuff too!)
          Fritz Klinke
          Phone 970-387-0212
          Fax 970-387-0127
          Email:  nagraph@...
          Web:  www.nagraph.com
          P.O. Box 467 (For US Postal Service mail and parcels only)
          4 Mears Ave. (For all other shipments -- UPS, FedEx, Truck Freight, etc,)
          Silverton, CO 81433   (Colorado)

          Also, you might also contact Sherwin Marks to see about rollers or roller specs for the Superior....

          CRAFTSMEN MACHINERY COMPANY
          Sherwin Marks
          Phone  508-376-2001
          Fax  508-376-2003
          Email <sales@...>
          PO Box 38
          840 Main St.
          Millis, MA 02054-0038   (Massachusetts)
          Sherwin Marks is the owner and a really nice guy and likes to support letterpress printers.

          Hope this helps!

          Best wishes,

          --Steve

          Steve Robison
          The Robison Press
          Belmont, California (about 25 miles south of San Francisco)
          robisonsteve@...