Re: Moving Vandercook Universal I

  • Carl Youngmann
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2011
      We successfully moved our Vandercook Model 3, which is about the same size as a Universal I, with scissor jacks and piano dollies. We had to move through a very tight passage that did not permit use of a pallet jack. I got two of the four wheel piano or furniture dollies at Home Depot and added a 3/4" plywood insert to make them almost flush so that the press feet could sit squarely in the middle of the dolly. I used two scissor jacks I got at Wal-Mart—the jacks must fit under edge of the press near the feet (check this dimension on your press, ours was about 4.65"). Total equipment investment about $75.

      I raised one end about half way, set the feet on some blocks, then raised the other end high enough to center the dolly under the feet. I went back to the first end and lifted it enough to put the dolly under it. And, away we went, over door jambs, down a wheel chair ramp, across a sidewalk, up a ramp into a trailer, all very slowly, usually a few inches or a couple of feet at a time—slow and easy wins the race.

      I did this all with the help of three other "Press Angels" to whom I am greatly indebted.

      Good Luck,
      Carl
      __

      Carl Youngmann
      The North Press
      1530 Holcomb Street • Port Townsend, Washington 98368

    • Halton
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2011
        You don't mention whether your Un-1 is a power drive or hand crank. I've moved Un-1 power drive presses successfully by myself using a pallet jack and a come-along. First, lifting in the center of the press
        from either side can bend back panel . . . it's far better to elevate the ends and place blocks under them.
        Pallet jack goes under at feedboard end so blocking there should be in center to allow the pallet jack
        to straddle the block(s). I then fastened press to pallet jack by hooking the come-along cable from pallet jack frame and extending cable up, under feed table and back down opposite side and hook to pallet jack.
        Tighten cable, and tie cylinder to feedboard end to concentrate weight on pallet jack. When you jack it up
        remove blocks and move it "low & slow". It's important that the cable is positioned so that it angles back to jack . . . you're creating a cantilever lift, so cable hooks in on frame supporting the handle assembly.
        Joe