Re: Moving Vandercook Universal I

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26 8:41 PM
      For a move of 20 miles, you don't really need a pallet. A pallet jack will easily move the press. All you really need to do is level the press out with some boards on the pallet jack itself. That is all I have ever used and I have moved something like three dozen Vandercooks. Note, I am not a professional mover but I have only seen one Vandercook come in on a pallet. Albeit, a very nice custom built pallet, which I still have. Plus, if you use a pallet you have the additional problem of getting the press off the damn thing.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "studioe2" <g@...> wrote:

      > We're moving out of our townhouse into a single family home with garage. Our Vandercook is currently on the first floor of our house but we need to move it to the new house which is 20 miles away. The press is 27.5" wide by 77" long. I'll need someone to make a pallet and attach under the press to get a pallet jack under it to move. Does anyone know of movers in the Washington DC area who can do this?
      >
      > Thanks.

    • Carl Youngmann
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27 11:18 AM
        We successfully moved our Vandercook Model 3, which is about the same size as a Universal I, with scissor jacks and piano dollies. We had to move through a very tight passage that did not permit use of a pallet jack. I got two of the four wheel piano or furniture dollies at Home Depot and added a 3/4" plywood insert to make them almost flush so that the press feet could sit squarely in the middle of the dolly. I used two scissor jacks I got at Wal-Mart—the jacks must fit under edge of the press near the feet (check this dimension on your press, ours was about 4.65"). Total equipment investment about $75.

        I raised one end about half way, set the feet on some blocks, then raised the other end high enough to center the dolly under the feet. I went back to the first end and lifted it enough to put the dolly under it. And, away we went, over door jambs, down a wheel chair ramp, across a sidewalk, up a ramp into a trailer, all very slowly, usually a few inches or a couple of feet at a time—slow and easy wins the race.

        I did this all with the help of three other "Press Angels" to whom I am greatly indebted.

        Good Luck,
        Carl
        __

        Carl Youngmann
        The North Press
        1530 Holcomb Street • Port Townsend, Washington 98368

      • Halton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2011
          You don't mention whether your Un-1 is a power drive or hand crank. I've moved Un-1 power drive presses successfully by myself using a pallet jack and a come-along. First, lifting in the center of the press
          from either side can bend back panel . . . it's far better to elevate the ends and place blocks under them.
          Pallet jack goes under at feedboard end so blocking there should be in center to allow the pallet jack
          to straddle the block(s). I then fastened press to pallet jack by hooking the come-along cable from pallet jack frame and extending cable up, under feed table and back down opposite side and hook to pallet jack.
          Tighten cable, and tie cylinder to feedboard end to concentrate weight on pallet jack. When you jack it up
          remove blocks and move it "low & slow". It's important that the cable is positioned so that it angles back to jack . . . you're creating a cantilever lift, so cable hooks in on frame supporting the handle assembly.
          Joe