[PPLetterpress] Re: DTP Software

  • Ms. Judy
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
      I think you are now saying it translates as
      "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
      Makes way more sense that way, thank you!

      >It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just testing.
    • Daniel Franklin
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
        I can't stand it any longer!

        Regarding the excerpt from Horace's Ode 1.11 ...

                                         dum loquimur, fugerit invida
        aetas. carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.

        Erik S. wrote:

        not good. It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just testing.

        And Ms. Judy wrote:

        I think you are now saying it translates as
        "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
        Makes way more sense that way, thank you!

        The correct translation/sense is 'trusting in the next as little as possible,' that is, '... seize the day; don't wait till tomorrow.'

        And did you know that this was a seduction poem to Horace's (perhaps imaginary) lover Leuconoe?
      • bielerpr
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
          I can't stand it any longer either. This is a letterpress list. Take it over to Facebook or Letpress (they like this kind of stuff). Further contributions to this thread will put the contributor on moderated status. I have way too much to do all day long and then have to deal with member complaints about this thread is just a bit too much.

          Gerald
          PPL

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Franklin <dan@...> wrote:

          > I can't stand it any longer!
          >
          > Regarding the excerpt from Horace's Ode 1.11 ...
          >
          > > dum loquimur, fugerit invida
          > > aetas. carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
          >
          > Erik S. wrote:
          >
          > > not good. It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just
          > > testing.
          >
          > And Ms. Judy wrote:
          >
          > > I think you are now saying it translates as
          > > "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
          > > Makes way more sense that way, thank you!
          > >
          > The correct translation/sense is 'trusting in the next as little as
          > possible,' that is, '... seize the day; don't wait till tomorrow.'
          >
          > And did you know that this was a seduction poem to Horace's (perhaps
          > imaginary) lover Leuconoe?

        • Daniel Franklin
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
            I apologize, Gerald.

            Since I have Letpress and PPLetterspress come into the same e-mail
            folder, I assumed this was a Letpress thread, and we both know that some
            of their threads dive into deep waters (to mix metaphors). I'll be more
            careful in the future.

            Best regards,

            Dan