AW: [PPLetterpress] Re: DTP Software

  • Silber MaiKätzchen
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 10, 2011
      Good! You are a good student. Now for a 4.0, what was
      the context of this statement?

      Turn in your Blue-Book to my assistant at the door.

      MaiKätzchen

      Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
      Carpe diem!
      quam minimum credula postero!

      Horace
      Odes Book I

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
        On 11.06.2011, at 00:34, Silber MaiKätzchen wrote:

        > Good!
        not good. It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just testing.

      • Ms. Judy
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
          I think you are now saying it translates as
          "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
          Makes way more sense that way, thank you!

          >It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just testing.
        • Daniel Franklin
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
            I can't stand it any longer!

            Regarding the excerpt from Horace's Ode 1.11 ...

            And Ms. Judy wrote:

            I think you are now saying it translates as
            "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
            Makes way more sense that way, thank you!

            The correct translation/sense is 'trusting in the next as little as possible,' that is, '... seize the day; don't wait till tomorrow.'

            And did you know that this was a seduction poem to Horace's (perhaps imaginary) lover Leuconoe?
          • bielerpr
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
              I can't stand it any longer either. This is a letterpress list. Take it over to Facebook or Letpress (they like this kind of stuff). Further contributions to this thread will put the contributor on moderated status. I have way too much to do all day long and then have to deal with member complaints about this thread is just a bit too much.

              Gerald
              PPL

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Franklin <dan@...> wrote:

              > I can't stand it any longer!
              >
              > Regarding the excerpt from Horace's Ode 1.11 ...
              >
              > > dum loquimur, fugerit invida
              > > aetas. carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
              >
              > Erik S. wrote:
              >
              > > not good. It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just
              > > testing.
              >
              > And Ms. Judy wrote:
              >
              > > I think you are now saying it translates as
              > > "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
              > > Makes way more sense that way, thank you!
              > >
              > The correct translation/sense is 'trusting in the next as little as
              > possible,' that is, '... seize the day; don't wait till tomorrow.'
              >
              > And did you know that this was a seduction poem to Horace's (perhaps
              > imaginary) lover Leuconoe?

            • Daniel Franklin
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                I apologize, Gerald.

                Since I have Letpress and PPLetterspress come into the same e-mail
                folder, I assumed this was a Letpress thread, and we both know that some
                of their threads dive into deep waters (to mix metaphors). I'll be more
                careful in the future.

                Best regards,

                Dan