Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: DTP Software

  • rhopfner@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011

      As a designer, I'd be happy to help anyone with a question about Adobe software or look at a file you may have issue with. You can share with the group or contact me directly. I would love to learn more about bridging the gap between old and new technology.

      cheers,

      Bob

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
        Lynda.com is a great place to learn new software and it's not that expensive.

        Get Inky
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

        Casey McGarr

        Inky Lips Letterpress
        Kissing The Paper With Inky Lips®
      • Silber MaiKätzchen
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
          I get mostly PDFs, but I have and accept files from
          InDesign, Illistrator, Quark Xpress, Photoshop, Corel
          Draw and a few others. I also use PUB2ID, ID2Q and
          Flight check in liberal doses.

          I guess I am just looking for software to expand my
          horizon.

          MaiKätzchen
          Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
          Carpe diem!
          quam minimum credula postero!

          Horace
          Odes Book I

          These are expensive programs.  One would certainly have a have a good business to support them.  Also down in this rural area, I don't have any source for learning how to use them.
          Stan

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Casey McGarr <casey@...> wrote:

          > I use Adobe InDesign for multipage layouts or brochures and Adobe Illustrator for type manipulation, logo work, illustration, and single page files.
          >

          > M. Casey McGarr
          > Inky Lips Press
          >
          > www.McGarrCreative.com
          > www.InkyLipsPress.com

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
              PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Silber MaiKätzchen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
            Don't even whisper Photon, select Set or ATF.

            I used to use a VariTyper CompSet, then CompEdit,
            Then CompEdit CRT, then EPICS. Then came my
            Compugraphic daze. (The Select Set 5000 still in
            daily use, even with CDP.)

            Somewhere in there was the Photo-Typositor, StarSetter
            and some other things I care not to remember.

            target="_blank" href="http://www.InkyLipsPress.com">www.InkyLipsPress.com

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
                PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • erik spiekermann
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
              On 09.06.2011, at 15:39, Silber MaiKätzchen wrote:

              > Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
              > Carpe diem!
              > quam minimum credula postero!

              i do not remember much from Latin at school, but here's my offer of a translation:
              While we talk, envious time runs out.
              Pluck the day!
              Believe in the future as little as possible.

              Carpe Diem (Immanuel Kant’s motto) is often translated as Seize the day.

              | prof. dr. erik spiekermann
              | www.spiekermann.com

              | Niederwallstrasse 32
              | 10117 Berlin
              | T+49.30.2064 9090
              | F+49.30.2064 9091

              | T +1.415.350 3314
              | 368 Vallejo Street
              | San Francisco, CA 94133

              | T +44 207 254 4799
              | 47 Mildmay Grove North
              | London N1 4PN

              Itinerary | Reiseplan

              | 27.05.11 – Stuttgart
              | 28.05.11 – Frankfurt
              | 05.06.11 – 09.06.11 New York
              | 10.06.11 – 12.06.11 Barcelona
              | 16.06.11 – 19.06.11 London
              | 20.06.11 – 23.06.11 Stockholm
              | 25.06.11 – 27.06.11 Köln
              | 22.07.11 – 24.07.11 Boxberg Rallye
              | 01.08.11 – 14.08.11 London
              | 25.08.11 – 28.08.11 Ruhr
              | 14.09.11 – 18.09.11 Reykjavik
              | 22.09.11 – 25.09.11 Aschau
              | 30.09.11 – 16.10.11 San Francisco
            • Silber MaiKätzchen
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 10, 2011
                Good! You are a good student. Now for a 4.0, what was
                the context of this statement?

                Turn in your Blue-Book to my assistant at the door.

                MaiKätzchen

                Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                Carpe diem!
                quam minimum credula postero!

                Horace
                Odes Book I

                On 09.06.2011, at 15:39, Silber MaiKätzchen wrote:

                > Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                > Carpe diem!
                > quam minimum credula postero!

                i do not remember much from Latin at school, but here's my offer of a translation:
                While we talk, envious time runs out.
                Pluck the day!
                Believe in the future as little as possible.

                Carpe Diem (Immanuel Kant’s motto) is often translated as Seize the day.

                | prof. dr. erik spiekermann
                | www.spiekermann.com

                | Niederwallstrasse 32
                | 10117 Berlin
                | T+49.30.2064 9090
                | F+49.30.2064 9091

                | T +1.415.350 3314
                | 368 Vallejo Street
                | San Francisco, CA 94133

                | T +44 207 254 4799
                | 47 Mildmay Grove North
                | London N1 4PN

                Itinerary | Reiseplan

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                  On 11.06.2011, at 00:34, Silber MaiKätzchen wrote:

                  > Good!
                  not good. It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just testing.

                • Ms. Judy
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                    I think you are now saying it translates as
                    "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
                    Makes way more sense that way, thank you!

                    >It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just testing.
                  • Daniel Franklin
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                      I can't stand it any longer!

                      Regarding the excerpt from Horace's Ode 1.11 ...

                      And Ms. Judy wrote:

                      I think you are now saying it translates as
                      "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
                      Makes way more sense that way, thank you!

                      The correct translation/sense is 'trusting in the next as little as possible,' that is, '... seize the day; don't wait till tomorrow.'

                      And did you know that this was a seduction poem to Horace's (perhaps imaginary) lover Leuconoe?
                    • bielerpr
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                        I can't stand it any longer either. This is a letterpress list. Take it over to Facebook or Letpress (they like this kind of stuff). Further contributions to this thread will put the contributor on moderated status. I have way too much to do all day long and then have to deal with member complaints about this thread is just a bit too much.

                        Gerald
                        PPL

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Franklin <dan@...> wrote:

                        > I can't stand it any longer!
                        >
                        > Regarding the excerpt from Horace's Ode 1.11 ...
                        >
                        > > dum loquimur, fugerit invida
                        > > aetas. carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
                        >
                        > Erik S. wrote:
                        >
                        > > not good. It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just
                        > > testing.
                        >
                        > And Ms. Judy wrote:
                        >
                        > > I think you are now saying it translates as
                        > > "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
                        > > Makes way more sense that way, thank you!
                        > >
                        > The correct translation/sense is 'trusting in the next as little as
                        > possible,' that is, '... seize the day; don't wait till tomorrow.'
                        >
                        > And did you know that this was a seduction poem to Horace's (perhaps
                        > imaginary) lover Leuconoe?

                      • Daniel Franklin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                          I apologize, Gerald.

                          Since I have Letpress and PPLetterspress come into the same e-mail
                          folder, I assumed this was a Letpress thread, and we both know that some
                          of their threads dive into deep waters (to mix metaphors). I'll be more
                          careful in the future.

                          Best regards,

                          Dan