Re: Photopolymer

  • cmcgarr1957 <casey@mcgarrcreative.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2003
      Gerald,

      Thanks for the great information, you've been very helpful. I think I may just
      start out with having someone output the plates for me and if there is a need
      to purchase then I may think about it. Your right it is a huge expense, I called
      Anderson Vreeland and spoke with a sales person for 20 minutes or so and
      he gave me the scoop.

      Does used equipment ever become available and how much price difference
      is there usually? Where can I see the database of people that output and
      manufactures? Do you recommend magnetic bases?

      How long have you been doing this? I see your name on the Letpress forum
      as well.

      Thanks Gerald!!!

      Casey McGarr

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange <bieler@w...>" <

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2003
        Hi Casey

        Since you've found the database (as you noted in your subsequent post)
        you have pretty much found your way. So you've probably found the
        processors as well.

        I believe there are a couple of used platemaker equipment dealers
        (including A&V) in the Links section under Supplies, and then probably,
        Platemaking Equipment or something. (I'm mentioning this here for
        everyone). Used machines are running $600 to $3000. Only real expensive
        component to replace, if need be, would be the brush unit, I suspect.

        I do recommend magnetic bases; the kind that are traditionally used by
        the printing industry. There are also alternative bases (in terms of
        cost), both magnetic and non-magnetic. These are listed in the Database
        as well. You can also make your own, but I wouldn't recommend it. Sort
        of defeats the purpose of photopolymer to use a non-precision base. It's
        a bit sensitive and will readily reveal inaccuracies.

        I started experimenting with photopolymer in 1990 (with digital type).
        Started using it for bookwork in 1992. Bought a platemaking machine (as
        the result of contracting for a large project) in 1995. Haven't used
        metal type for bookwork since 1998. Mainly an economic consideration for
        the business.

        Despite what some folks might assume, I do not recommend abandoning
        metal. There are still some excellent sources for it. Michael Bixler for
        Monotype, Theo Rehak for foundry, etc. There are also links to
        traditional letterpress sources on site.

        Best in your endeavor

        Gerald

        cmcgarr1957 wrote:

        >Gerald,
        >
        >Thanks for the great information, you've been very helpful. I think I may just
        >start out with having someone output the plates for me and if there is a need
        >to purchase then I may think about it. Your right it is a huge expense, I called
        >Anderson Vreeland and spoke with a sales person for 20 minutes or so and
        >he gave me the scoop.
        >
        >Does used equipment ever become available and how much price difference
        >is there usually? Where can I see the database of people that output and
        >manufactures? Do you recommend magnetic bases?
        >
        >How long have you been doing this? I see your name on the Letpress forum
        >as well.
        >
        >Thanks Gerald!!!
        >
        >Casey McGarr

      • Harold Kyle
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
          On 3/2/03 5:10 PM, "cmcgarr1957 <casey@...>"
          <casey@...> wrote:
          > Do you recommend magnetic bases?

          Our non-magnetic bases have sold well among letterpress printers because
          they offer easy, reliable registration. My experience with magnetic bases is
          that--especially on cylinder presses such as your Challenge--multiple colors
          and tight registration is difficult because plates tend to move our of
          register. Printers often spray-mount plates to their magnetic bases to hold
          them in place. Our system is detailed at:
          http://www.boxcarpress.com/photopolymer-supplies/boxcar-base.html

          As the sole distributor for Boxcar Bases, I tend to jump into the breach
          frequently. We guarantee satisfaction with our bases (or your money back),
          and our customers often share their positive experience after using our
          bases:

          We have general FAQs about photopolymer plates and our system at:
          http://www.boxcarpress.com/photopolymer-supplies/faqs.html

          Thanks,
          Harold

          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
          Boxcar Press
          640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
          315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
          www.boxcarpress.com
          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        • Harold Kyle
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
            I didn't mean to send the last message without the URL for our customers'
            comments:
            http://www.boxcarpress.com/platemaking/comments.html

            I also intended to mention that we would be happy to supply a small sample
            base and plate for printers who would like to try a Boxcar Base before they
            purchase one.

            Thanks,
            Harold