Re: [PPLetterpress] LP biz

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2011
      Hi Bill,

      Thanks for the note.

      I assume that the Stationery Show was overpopulated by uniformly amazing printing in that case?

      ;-)

      We're specializing in business stationery. I wonder about getting back into the wedding biz. The competition is thick (as you know) and the work is quite unfulfilling from my point of view.
      Printing 75 invitations, 100 RSVP cards, 100 Menus, etc on a Windmill that can handle 2500 impressions an hour just seems like a real downer.

      PF

      On 8 Jun 2011, at 10:29 AM, nohogallery@... wrote:

      Peter:

      Last year was horrible, but the first five months of this year have been great.  He also do custom framing and last year was bad for that department and good this year.

      I think there is a lot of competition out there that was not around five years ago.  We visited the New York Stationery Show last month and it was way over populated by letterpress studios.

      We have been lucky with our wedding invite business because of our slightly boon docks location...not a lot of people are doing what we are doing out here.  The other letterpress printers in our area do mostly book work for out of the area clients.

      So all in all I think things are getting better...knock on wood type.

      Bill
      Big Wheel Press

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2011
        Peter:

        The work at the show was great...I didn't see many orders getting written.

        We are hopefully getting our first windmill this month.  We have been printing wedding invites on our Pearl and Vandercooks, so we are looking forward to the speed and better/easier registration.  I do get more exercise cranking the Vandy...we have no motorized presses at present.

        Brides can be a handful, but when they are happy it makes my day.

        Have fun

        Bill
        Big Wheel Press

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2011
          On 8 Jun 2011, at 11:11 AM, nohogallery@... wrote:

          > Peter:
          >
          > The work at the show was great...I didn't see many orders getting written.

          Indeed, I've been impressed (if that's not too obvious a pun when talking about letterpress printing) with how well the craft is being taught and maintained.

          The demands of wedding work, which does kind of need to be crisp and beautiful, have pushed the level of craft well beyond the typical job shop of the letterpress era. Probably beyond the typical 'fine press' of an earlier era, in fact.

          However, there's still too much humdrum or simply lousy typography being beautifully printed ;-)
          (Only opinion, of course. I'm particular about spacing, and will often make recommendations about the design before we go to press.)

          There's also a surfeit of enthusiasm combined with a paucity of "meckanical common sense" in some printers, but I don't expect they would be at the Stationery Show!
          Give 'em time, maybe they'll figure out those problems with their rollers...

          > We are hopefully getting our first windmill this month. We have been printing wedding invites on our Pearl and Vandercooks, so we are looking forward to the speed and better/easier registration. I do get more exercise cranking the Vandy...we have no motorized presses at present.

          It's plenty of exercise running a Windmill, I assure you! In particular, when your stock is a dollar a sheet, and the stuff won't feed the same way it did yesterday!

          I did do a run on my Vandercook 219 a month or so ago. It was a proclamation for an international federation of national associations of nursing. 15"x26". They only needed five final copies. Ran about two dozen on the gorgeous Velke Losiny (Czech) Prague handmade paper. If I can find my photos, I'll post some shots.

          I wasn't terribly impressed with the design of the piece, since, of course, it was more or less designed by the committee. Can't blame the typographer for that. The type itself is gorgeous, and the spacing is great, but it's a boring centered 'traditional' design. (What tradition is that, I wonder?!)

          > Brides can be a handful, but when they are happy it makes my day.

          Well, yes, and in fact, I've had pretty much nothing but great wedding clients, thank goodness.
          Still, I much prefer working with designers and their clients, where we can do 10-20K business cards or so in a few days.

          Thanks, Bill!

          Peter Fraterdeus
          Exquisite letterpress takes time™
          http://slowprint.com/

          IdeasWords : Idea Swords
          Communication Strategy
          Semiotx.com @ideaswords

          > Have fun
          >
          > Bill
          > Big Wheel Press

        • bielerpr
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2011
            Don't know what this means as an indicator of anything but all the Hallmark card shops in the local neighborhoods have closed shop in the last month or so.

          • nohogallery@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 8, 2011
              Card shops near us have closed too.  But we have a storefront and sell lots of cards.