DTP Software

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 6, 2011
      Some years ago someone published several
      lists of DTP software available, each
      list covering a different aspect of the
      available products.

      Are these archived somewhere, or have
      updated lists been published?

      MaiKätzchen
    • Casey McGarr
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 7, 2011
        I use Adobe InDesign for multipage layouts or brochures and Adobe Illustrator for type manipulation, logo work, illustration, and single page files.

        M. Casey McGarr
        Inky Lips Press

        www.McGarrCreative.com
        www.InkyLipsPress.com
      • okintertype
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 8, 2011
          These are expensive programs. One would certainly have a have a good business to support them. Also down in this rural area, I don't have any source for learning how to use them.
          Stan

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Casey McGarr <casey@...> wrote:

          > I use Adobe InDesign for multipage layouts or brochures and Adobe Illustrator for type manipulation, logo work, illustration, and single page files.
          >

          > M. Casey McGarr
          > Inky Lips Press
          >
          > www.McGarrCreative.com
          > www.InkyLipsPress.com

        • bielerpr
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 8, 2011
            Stan

            Unfortunately, expensive as they are, hard to be valid in the biz without them. There are tutorials, books, etc., that are available on line on how to use them. It's just software, here today, gone tomorrow. But today is everything, so to speak.

            Yeah, it's a major pain in the toto, but just the cost of doing, and staying in, business. Imagine the Compugraphic/photooffset years, um, even the metal years... was not anywhere as cheap to operate as it is today.

          • rhopfner@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011

              As a designer, I'd be happy to help anyone with a question about Adobe software or look at a file you may have issue with. You can share with the group or contact me directly. I would love to learn more about bridging the gap between old and new technology.

              cheers,

              Bob

              Unfortunately, expensive as they are, hard to be valid in the biz without them. There are tutorials, books, etc., that are available on line on how to use them. It's just software, here today, gone tomorrow. But today is everything, so to speak.

              Yeah, it's a major pain in the toto, but just the cost of doing, and staying in, business. Imagine the Compugraphic/photooffset years, um, even the metal years... was not anywhere as cheap to operate as it is today.

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "okintertype" <spthompson@...> wrote:

              > These are expensive programs. One would certainly have a have a good business to support them. Also down in this rural area, I don't have any source for learning how to use them.
              > Stan
              >

              > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Casey McGarr <casey@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I use Adobe InDesign for multipage layouts or brochures and Adobe Illustrator for type manipulation, logo work, illustration, and single page files.
              > >

              > > M. Casey McGarr
              > > Inky Lips Press
              > >
              > > www.McGarrCreative.com
              > > www.InkyLipsPress.com

            • Casey McGarr
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
                Lynda.com is a great place to learn new software and it's not that expensive.

                Get Inky
                . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

                Casey McGarr

                Inky Lips Letterpress
                Kissing The Paper With Inky Lips®
              • Silber MaiKätzchen
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
                  I get mostly PDFs, but I have and accept files from
                  InDesign, Illistrator, Quark Xpress, Photoshop, Corel
                  Draw and a few others. I also use PUB2ID, ID2Q and
                  Flight check in liberal doses.

                  I guess I am just looking for software to expand my
                  horizon.

                  MaiKätzchen
                  Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                  Carpe diem!
                  quam minimum credula postero!

                  Horace
                  Odes Book I

                  These are expensive programs.  One would certainly have a have a good business to support them.  Also down in this rural area, I don't have any source for learning how to use them.
                  Stan

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Casey McGarr <casey@...> wrote:

                  > I use Adobe InDesign for multipage layouts or brochures and Adobe Illustrator for type manipulation, logo work, illustration, and single page files.
                  >

                  > M. Casey McGarr
                  > Inky Lips Press
                  >
                  > www.McGarrCreative.com
                  > www.InkyLipsPress.com

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Silber MaiKätzchen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
                    Don't even whisper Photon, select Set or ATF.

                    I used to use a VariTyper CompSet, then CompEdit,
                    Then CompEdit CRT, then EPICS. Then came my
                    Compugraphic daze. (The Select Set 5000 still in
                    daily use, even with CDP.)

                    Somewhere in there was the Photo-Typositor, StarSetter
                    and some other things I care not to remember.

                    target="_blank" href="http://www.InkyLipsPress.com">www.InkyLipsPress.com

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • erik spiekermann
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
                      On 09.06.2011, at 15:39, Silber MaiKätzchen wrote:

                      > Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                      > Carpe diem!
                      > quam minimum credula postero!

                      i do not remember much from Latin at school, but here's my offer of a translation:
                      While we talk, envious time runs out.
                      Pluck the day!
                      Believe in the future as little as possible.

                      Carpe Diem (Immanuel Kant’s motto) is often translated as Seize the day.

                      | prof. dr. erik spiekermann
                      | www.spiekermann.com

                      | Niederwallstrasse 32
                      | 10117 Berlin
                      | T+49.30.2064 9090
                      | F+49.30.2064 9091

                      | T +1.415.350 3314
                      | 368 Vallejo Street
                      | San Francisco, CA 94133

                      | T +44 207 254 4799
                      | 47 Mildmay Grove North
                      | London N1 4PN

                      Itinerary | Reiseplan

                      | 27.05.11 – Stuttgart
                      | 28.05.11 – Frankfurt
                      | 05.06.11 – 09.06.11 New York
                      | 10.06.11 – 12.06.11 Barcelona
                      | 16.06.11 – 19.06.11 London
                      | 20.06.11 – 23.06.11 Stockholm
                      | 25.06.11 – 27.06.11 Köln
                      | 22.07.11 – 24.07.11 Boxberg Rallye
                      | 01.08.11 – 14.08.11 London
                      | 25.08.11 – 28.08.11 Ruhr
                      | 14.09.11 – 18.09.11 Reykjavik
                      | 22.09.11 – 25.09.11 Aschau
                      | 30.09.11 – 16.10.11 San Francisco
                    • Silber MaiKätzchen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 10, 2011
                        Good! You are a good student. Now for a 4.0, what was
                        the context of this statement?

                        Turn in your Blue-Book to my assistant at the door.

                        MaiKätzchen

                        Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                        Carpe diem!
                        quam minimum credula postero!

                        Horace
                        Odes Book I

                        On 09.06.2011, at 15:39, Silber MaiKätzchen wrote:

                        > Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                        > Carpe diem!
                        > quam minimum credula postero!

                        i do not remember much from Latin at school, but here's my offer of a translation:
                        While we talk, envious time runs out.
                        Pluck the day!
                        Believe in the future as little as possible.

                        Carpe Diem (Immanuel Kant’s motto) is often translated as Seize the day.

                        | prof. dr. erik spiekermann
                        | www.spiekermann.com

                        | Niederwallstrasse 32
                        | 10117 Berlin
                        | T+49.30.2064 9090
                        | F+49.30.2064 9091

                        | T +1.415.350 3314
                        | 368 Vallejo Street
                        | San Francisco, CA 94133

                        | T +44 207 254 4799
                        | 47 Mildmay Grove North
                        | London N1 4PN

                        Itinerary | Reiseplan

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                          On 11.06.2011, at 00:34, Silber MaiKätzchen wrote:

                          > Good!
                          not good. It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just testing.

                        • Ms. Judy
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                            I think you are now saying it translates as
                            "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
                            Makes way more sense that way, thank you!

                            >It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just testing.
                          • Daniel Franklin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                              I can't stand it any longer!

                              Regarding the excerpt from Horace's Ode 1.11 ...

                              And Ms. Judy wrote:

                              I think you are now saying it translates as
                              "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
                              Makes way more sense that way, thank you!

                              The correct translation/sense is 'trusting in the next as little as possible,' that is, '... seize the day; don't wait till tomorrow.'

                              And did you know that this was a seduction poem to Horace's (perhaps imaginary) lover Leuconoe?
                            • bielerpr
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                                I can't stand it any longer either. This is a letterpress list. Take it over to Facebook or Letpress (they like this kind of stuff). Further contributions to this thread will put the contributor on moderated status. I have way too much to do all day long and then have to deal with member complaints about this thread is just a bit too much.

                                Gerald
                                PPL

                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Franklin <dan@...> wrote:

                                > I can't stand it any longer!
                                >
                                > Regarding the excerpt from Horace's Ode 1.11 ...
                                >
                                > > dum loquimur, fugerit invida
                                > > aetas. carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
                                >
                                > Erik S. wrote:
                                >
                                > > not good. It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just
                                > > testing.
                                >
                                > And Ms. Judy wrote:
                                >
                                > > I think you are now saying it translates as
                                > > "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
                                > > Makes way more sense that way, thank you!
                                > >
                                > The correct translation/sense is 'trusting in the next as little as
                                > possible,' that is, '... seize the day; don't wait till tomorrow.'
                                >
                                > And did you know that this was a seduction poem to Horace's (perhaps
                                > imaginary) lover Leuconoe?

                              • Daniel Franklin
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                                  I apologize, Gerald.

                                  Since I have Letpress and PPLetterspress come into the same e-mail
                                  folder, I assumed this was a Letpress thread, and we both know that some
                                  of their threads dive into deep waters (to mix metaphors). I'll be more
                                  careful in the future.

                                  Best regards,

                                  Dan