A request for the kids....

  • Amber Ellis-Seguine
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31, 2011
      Due to the wise suggestion of a dear friend I am creating this post. (please excuse the cross post)

      It's been a while since I have last posted to any of these list, and I have good reason. I have been hard at work moving a shop, preparing for the National Stationery Show and opening a small retail store front. It is because of the latter that I am composing this request.

      My passion and motivation behind opening the retail store front is not to sell my goods or yours, even though I will be, but rather to have a place to teach. And by teach I am talking about kids. I don't have a desire, at this time, to teach adults aspiring to become letterpress printers themselves, although I am one of their biggest cheerleaders! In actuality I am very passionate about kids having a positive, safe, loving environment to express themselves. I used to teach K-8th graders, so, yes I know what I am getting myself into. I can also assure you that I am not planning on having large groups of 4 year olds running windmills at the shop. I am setting up shop to have around 10 students for 1 hour in the afternoon creating art and printing what they create.

      Now that you know what I am doing you might still be wondering why I am telling the list(s). At this time I have 1 working 3 x 5 Kelsey and a non working one. I have a very nice, dear friend, that has offered to loan me some of his small presses, however I need more. I am asking that if anyone has any type of small press, a sign press, a 3x5, a proof press, or anything that you think I can use and  that you're either willing to donate to the cause or sell at a very reasonable price (not the going ebay rate) please contact me off list. Also since I print with polymer and a box car base, if anyone has any larger type, cuts, composing sticks, and all the other letterpress necessities used for more traditional printing methods that would make my classroom complete, I would love to hear from you.

      I am happy to answer any questions and look forward to keeping the lists updated with pictures and blog posts on all the amazing things the kids are creating at Flywheel Press.

      Thank you all for your continued support,
      Amber

      Amber Ellis-Seguine
      650.468.9537
      650.347.4066

    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 6, 2011
        Some years ago someone published several
        lists of DTP software available, each
        list covering a different aspect of the
        available products.

        Are these archived somewhere, or have
        updated lists been published?

        MaiKätzchen
      • Casey McGarr
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 7, 2011
          I use Adobe InDesign for multipage layouts or brochures and Adobe Illustrator for type manipulation, logo work, illustration, and single page files.

          M. Casey McGarr
          Inky Lips Press

          www.McGarrCreative.com
          www.InkyLipsPress.com
        • okintertype
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 8, 2011
            These are expensive programs. One would certainly have a have a good business to support them. Also down in this rural area, I don't have any source for learning how to use them.
            Stan

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Casey McGarr <casey@...> wrote:

            > I use Adobe InDesign for multipage layouts or brochures and Adobe Illustrator for type manipulation, logo work, illustration, and single page files.
            >

            > M. Casey McGarr
            > Inky Lips Press
            >
            > www.McGarrCreative.com
            > www.InkyLipsPress.com

          • bielerpr
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 8, 2011
              Stan

              Unfortunately, expensive as they are, hard to be valid in the biz without them. There are tutorials, books, etc., that are available on line on how to use them. It's just software, here today, gone tomorrow. But today is everything, so to speak.

              Yeah, it's a major pain in the toto, but just the cost of doing, and staying in, business. Imagine the Compugraphic/photooffset years, um, even the metal years... was not anywhere as cheap to operate as it is today.

            • rhopfner@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011

                As a designer, I'd be happy to help anyone with a question about Adobe software or look at a file you may have issue with. You can share with the group or contact me directly. I would love to learn more about bridging the gap between old and new technology.

                cheers,

                Bob

                Unfortunately, expensive as they are, hard to be valid in the biz without them. There are tutorials, books, etc., that are available on line on how to use them. It's just software, here today, gone tomorrow. But today is everything, so to speak.

                Yeah, it's a major pain in the toto, but just the cost of doing, and staying in, business. Imagine the Compugraphic/photooffset years, um, even the metal years... was not anywhere as cheap to operate as it is today.

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "okintertype" <spthompson@...> wrote:

                > These are expensive programs. One would certainly have a have a good business to support them. Also down in this rural area, I don't have any source for learning how to use them.
                > Stan
                >

                > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Casey McGarr <casey@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I use Adobe InDesign for multipage layouts or brochures and Adobe Illustrator for type manipulation, logo work, illustration, and single page files.
                > >

                > > M. Casey McGarr
                > > Inky Lips Press
                > >
                > > www.McGarrCreative.com
                > > www.InkyLipsPress.com

              • Casey McGarr
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
                  Lynda.com is a great place to learn new software and it's not that expensive.

                  Get Inky
                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

                  Casey McGarr

                  Inky Lips Letterpress
                  Kissing The Paper With Inky Lips®
                • Silber MaiKätzchen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
                    I get mostly PDFs, but I have and accept files from
                    InDesign, Illistrator, Quark Xpress, Photoshop, Corel
                    Draw and a few others. I also use PUB2ID, ID2Q and
                    Flight check in liberal doses.

                    I guess I am just looking for software to expand my
                    horizon.

                    MaiKätzchen
                    Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                    Carpe diem!
                    quam minimum credula postero!

                    Horace
                    Odes Book I

                    These are expensive programs.  One would certainly have a have a good business to support them.  Also down in this rural area, I don't have any source for learning how to use them.
                    Stan

                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Casey McGarr <casey@...> wrote:

                    > I use Adobe InDesign for multipage layouts or brochures and Adobe Illustrator for type manipulation, logo work, illustration, and single page files.
                    >

                    > M. Casey McGarr
                    > Inky Lips Press
                    >
                    > www.McGarrCreative.com
                    > www.InkyLipsPress.com

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Silber MaiKätzchen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
                      Don't even whisper Photon, select Set or ATF.

                      I used to use a VariTyper CompSet, then CompEdit,
                      Then CompEdit CRT, then EPICS. Then came my
                      Compugraphic daze. (The Select Set 5000 still in
                      daily use, even with CDP.)

                      Somewhere in there was the Photo-Typositor, StarSetter
                      and some other things I care not to remember.

                      target="_blank" href="http://www.InkyLipsPress.com">www.InkyLipsPress.com

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • erik spiekermann
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 9, 2011
                        On 09.06.2011, at 15:39, Silber MaiKätzchen wrote:

                        > Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                        > Carpe diem!
                        > quam minimum credula postero!

                        i do not remember much from Latin at school, but here's my offer of a translation:
                        While we talk, envious time runs out.
                        Pluck the day!
                        Believe in the future as little as possible.

                        Carpe Diem (Immanuel Kant’s motto) is often translated as Seize the day.

                        | prof. dr. erik spiekermann
                        | www.spiekermann.com

                        | Niederwallstrasse 32
                        | 10117 Berlin
                        | T+49.30.2064 9090
                        | F+49.30.2064 9091

                        | T +1.415.350 3314
                        | 368 Vallejo Street
                        | San Francisco, CA 94133

                        | T +44 207 254 4799
                        | 47 Mildmay Grove North
                        | London N1 4PN

                        Itinerary | Reiseplan

                        | 27.05.11 – Stuttgart
                        | 28.05.11 – Frankfurt
                        | 05.06.11 – 09.06.11 New York
                        | 10.06.11 – 12.06.11 Barcelona
                        | 16.06.11 – 19.06.11 London
                        | 20.06.11 – 23.06.11 Stockholm
                        | 25.06.11 – 27.06.11 Köln
                        | 22.07.11 – 24.07.11 Boxberg Rallye
                        | 01.08.11 – 14.08.11 London
                        | 25.08.11 – 28.08.11 Ruhr
                        | 14.09.11 – 18.09.11 Reykjavik
                        | 22.09.11 – 25.09.11 Aschau
                        | 30.09.11 – 16.10.11 San Francisco
                      • Silber MaiKätzchen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 10, 2011
                          Good! You are a good student. Now for a 4.0, what was
                          the context of this statement?

                          Turn in your Blue-Book to my assistant at the door.

                          MaiKätzchen

                          Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                          Carpe diem!
                          quam minimum credula postero!

                          Horace
                          Odes Book I

                          On 09.06.2011, at 15:39, Silber MaiKätzchen wrote:

                          > Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                          > Carpe diem!
                          > quam minimum credula postero!

                          i do not remember much from Latin at school, but here's my offer of a translation:
                          While we talk, envious time runs out.
                          Pluck the day!
                          Believe in the future as little as possible.

                          Carpe Diem (Immanuel Kant’s motto) is often translated as Seize the day.

                          | prof. dr. erik spiekermann
                          | www.spiekermann.com

                          | Niederwallstrasse 32
                          | 10117 Berlin
                          | T+49.30.2064 9090
                          | F+49.30.2064 9091

                          | T +1.415.350 3314
                          | 368 Vallejo Street
                          | San Francisco, CA 94133

                          | T +44 207 254 4799
                          | 47 Mildmay Grove North
                          | London N1 4PN

                          Itinerary | Reiseplan

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                            On 11.06.2011, at 00:34, Silber MaiKätzchen wrote:

                            > Good!
                            not good. It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just testing.

                          • Ms. Judy
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                              I think you are now saying it translates as
                              "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
                              Makes way more sense that way, thank you!

                              >It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just testing.
                            • Daniel Franklin
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                                I can't stand it any longer!

                                Regarding the excerpt from Horace's Ode 1.11 ...

                                And Ms. Judy wrote:

                                I think you are now saying it translates as
                                "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
                                Makes way more sense that way, thank you!

                                The correct translation/sense is 'trusting in the next as little as possible,' that is, '... seize the day; don't wait till tomorrow.'

                                And did you know that this was a seduction poem to Horace's (perhaps imaginary) lover Leuconoe?
                              • bielerpr
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                                  I can't stand it any longer either. This is a letterpress list. Take it over to Facebook or Letpress (they like this kind of stuff). Further contributions to this thread will put the contributor on moderated status. I have way too much to do all day long and then have to deal with member complaints about this thread is just a bit too much.

                                  Gerald
                                  PPL

                                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Franklin <dan@...> wrote:

                                  > I can't stand it any longer!
                                  >
                                  > Regarding the excerpt from Horace's Ode 1.11 ...
                                  >
                                  > > dum loquimur, fugerit invida
                                  > > aetas. carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
                                  >
                                  > Erik S. wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > not good. It should have been past (postero) instead of future. Just
                                  > > testing.
                                  >
                                  > And Ms. Judy wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I think you are now saying it translates as
                                  > > "Believe in the past as little as possible?"
                                  > > Makes way more sense that way, thank you!
                                  > >
                                  > The correct translation/sense is 'trusting in the next as little as
                                  > possible,' that is, '... seize the day; don't wait till tomorrow.'
                                  >
                                  > And did you know that this was a seduction poem to Horace's (perhaps
                                  > imaginary) lover Leuconoe?

                                • Daniel Franklin
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 11, 2011
                                    I apologize, Gerald.

                                    Since I have Letpress and PPLetterspress come into the same e-mail
                                    folder, I assumed this was a Letpress thread, and we both know that some
                                    of their threads dive into deep waters (to mix metaphors). I'll be more
                                    careful in the future.

                                    Best regards,

                                    Dan