Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Photopolymer problems

  • Neelesh Sonawane
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2011
      I found out what the problem was. Good that it was fixable but annoyingly it was that printing negative separations direct from Illustrator does not output the blackest black, so the films output were not dense enough.
      Plates redone, printing all complete. Output not a sharp as I wanted but it was a bit over ambitious to be printing a 3 colour letterpress on a vandercook, with no registration mechanism for my first ever letterpress job.
      A bit wiser and hooked now.

      Thanks

      --
      Neelesh Sonawane
      Graphic design for web and print

      On 10 Apr 2011, at 22:51, Prepress wrote:

      Water temp at Body Temp, use a Thermometer, if you wash out by hand use a eternal 8 (Moebius band) motion.

      ___________________________________
      Prepress and Color separations,
      Polymerplates for Letterpress and Intaglio
      310.217.0400

      On Apr 10, 2011, at 2:34 PM, Neelesh Sonawane wrote:

      So if it's cold water (slightly colder than body temp) it will not washout? Some patches did not budge but other places washed out to the base.

      The studio is an arts charity not a commercial enterprise so the washout unit is a sink, a rubber tube attached to the tap and a soft brush!

      --
      Neelesh Sonawane
      Graphic design for web and print
      07949 034 391

      On 10 Apr 2011, at 22:22, Prepress wrote:

      ALLL PLATES need tempered water to washout correctly.  Your Washout unit should have a heater build in.

      My unit is a Anderson Vreeland Orbital 8 (24 x 30) unit.
      ___________________________________
      Prepress and Color separations,
      Polymerplates for Letterpress and Intaglio
      310.217.0400

      On Apr 10, 2011, at 2:01 PM, Neelesh Sonawane wrote:

      I think they are Toyobo Printight Solar Plate KM95 as they are listed in the studio catalogue as Photopolymer for letterpress - KM95. They come in inch sizes (not sure what the full supplied sheet size is) though the studio was kind enough to cut them to A4 for me.

      Processing - (sorry if I'm anally detailed but I'm not sure what might be important)
      warm lamp for 10 mins and set program to 300 with power on NOT full power
      peel protective film off, place in exposure unit
      spread a bit of talc on plate
      align film over, emulsion down
      close vacuum lid and turn on vacuum
      flip top over and run program.
      Remove plate and water wash, brushing in a circular movement. First time I created a plate it took about 10 mins to complete an A5 size. Second time, a bit longer but worked fine. This time (with the problem plates) I was going at it for over 30 mins with no success. I would have tried warm water but didn't have access to any.

      I'm leading to think that the plates are old and the skin is them curing on the surface...

      --
      Neelesh Sonawane
      Graphic design for web and print
      07949 034 391

      On 10 Apr 2011, at 21:09, bielerpr wrote:

      Neelesh

      What brand/kind of photopolymer plates are you using? and how are you going about processing them?

      Are these direct-to-plate? Those would be the only kind that I can think of off hand that might conceivably have a "skin." If so, this is flashed off in the exposing unit prior to normal processing. ?