Font Mystery

  • Nicholas
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24, 2011
      A local artist has asked me to help identify a font he wants to use.  As I can't seem to
      find it in any of my resources, I'd appreciate any help I can get.  If  you want to take
      a stab at it, email me and I'll send a copy of a sample to you offline.

      Thanks for the help.

      T. J. Ray
    • Scott Rubel

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25, 2011
          On 24.04.2011, at 13:34, Nicholas wrote:

          > take
          > a stab
          well, i just spent an afternoon going through all my American books (this is definitely not a European typeface), but to no avail. My ATF book is probably too late - i suspect this face to be from before 1900. I have more sources for European and especially German foundries, obviously.

          Sorry to be such a loser. Just went and ordered some more specimen books.

          Best from Berlin

          | prof. dr.h.c. erik spiekermann
          | www.spiekermann.com

          | Niederwallstrasse 32
          | 10117 Berlin
          | T+49.30.2064 9090
          | F+49.30.2064 9091
        • John Risseeuw
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25, 2011
            There are some members of this list that may be interested in this:

            Don¹t miss your chance to participate in the 2012 CBAA conference that will
            be taking place January 5-7 in the San Francisco Bay Area. Deadline for
            abstract submissions for papers, panel proposals, student presentations, and
            demonstrations is JUNE 1st, 2011

            College Book Art Association Conference 2012 CALL FOR PAPERS
            Deadline for submissions is JUNE 1st, 2011.

            We invite and encourage papers on topics that touch on the use of time and
            sequence in the form and content of both contemporary and historical books,
            including the exploration of the boundaries of the definition of what a book
            can be, or may become, in today¹s digital landscape. Issues of materiality,
            concept, theory and criticism in studio practice, curatorial practice, book
            history and pedagogy are all welcome. We also invite papers that focus on
            various technologies used in the studio practices of printing and assembling
            of books, from traditional tried and true methods and up through current
            cutting edge digital design and production. Papers that address the
            dovetailing and/or combining of technologies are also welcome. We are
            accepting both abstracts for individual papers as well as detailed proposals
            for pre-formed panel presentations made by groups who wish to explore a
            specific topic in a more organized fashion. Go to www.collegebookart.org for
            full submission guidelines.

            College Book Art Association Conference 2012 CALL FOR STUDENT PAPERS
            Deadline for submissions is JUNE 1st, 2011.

            Lightning Talks: How Does your Work Interrogate the Form of the Book through
            Time, Sequence or Technology?
            This year's student panel will be centered on a series of Lightning Talks.
            There are 12 spots available; each spot will run 5 minutes, with the panel
            equaling one hour in total. Each speaker must submit a total of 10 digital
            images of work and a written proposal of 250 words about how the work
            relates to this year's conference topic of ²Time, Sequence & Technology."
            Your presentation can focus on any single aspect, or combination of aspects,
            of the theme. The images will be combined into one slideshow. Presenters
            will be chosen through a blind review process by a panel of readers.
            Presenters must be student members of CBAA in order to be eligible to
            participate in this panel, and must be enrolled as a full-time student in an
            academic degree-granting program for the 2011-12 year. We hope this will be
            a lively, engaging way to share work and to learn what our peers are
            discovering in the field. Go to
            www.collegebookart.org <http://www.collegebookart.org//>
            for full submission guidelines.

            College Book Art Association Conference 2012 CALL FOR DEMONSTRATIONS
            Deadline for submissions is JUNE 1st, 2011.

            We invite proposals for demonstrations of intermediate and advanced
            techniques that can be used in the Book Art classroom. We are especially
            interested in techniques that utilize foraged items or promote sustainable
            practices in the studio.
            Please limit proposals to 200 words or less. List your equipment and space
            requirements as well as your material and supply needs; be specific.
            Demonstrations should take 30-45 minutes. Each demonstration would have
            advance sign-ups in order to limit attendance; please indicate if you would
            be willing to conduct the demonstration more than once. All demonstrations
            will take place in the Mills College Book Art studios; please refer to the
            list of available equipment. Go to
            www.collegebookart.org <http://www.collegebookart.org//>
            for full submission guidelines.
          • Halton
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25, 2011
              Hi Scott.
              Send a pdf? and i'll take a stab at it . . . been in typography biz since '56 and have a few books . . .
              Joe Halton       haltonprinting@...

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 25, 2011
                I usually take a screen shot of what I want to identify, then isolate it and, if necessary, make sure the contrast is really good.

                If they have the font in their database, it will be found.

                --Scott