Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: faux blind impression

  • Brian Allen
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 17, 2011
      I've used a fingerprint's worth of yellow with Van Son overprint varnish (#30 I think is was), on 110# Lettra, complex background pattern, with platen press, and got a wonderful bone-color white, which more than made up for the inability of canyon-deep impression w/ platen press. Everyone loves the sample, and the client was overjoyed.

      Contrary to much current practice, subtlety and understatement can cause swooning with elegance, rather then being dropped to the floor with letterpress smashing in the face.

      Brian Allen
      Durham, North Carolina
      Thankfully, no tornadoes here

      On Apr 14, 2011, at 3:11 PM, Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

      Hi Amber!

      Tinted with black in this case. It does not take much. A tiny millet sized dot or two of the color. Really, a pea's worth would be way too much!

      I don't think I actually used the grey ink, since that was mixed with opaque white and mag, which makes the glaze look gritty.

      Of course, I love doing true blind impressions, since it gains the same price as an inked run and I don't have to clean the press, or adjust the rollers, or mess with the inks... But I'm cursed with an absurd passion for perfection ;-)

      Glad to hear your plates are coming out. I had some real headaches when I first started with it. One thing to watch very closely is that your film is very dense. When I first started getting film from a local printer, they would run some dense others very thin, since the exposure on their offset plates is only 30 seconds, it was fine by them. I ended up pulling out hair trying to figure why my plates would be perfect one time and awful the next, until I realized I could see my overhead lights through the black area on the offending film.

      Good luck!

      On 14 Apr 2011, at 1:55 PM, Amber Ellis-Seguine wrote:

      Peter,
      Looks great, what color did you tint with? I know you said one from the invite, or at least I thought that's what you said. I have a job on the queue that I will be doing the same and would love to try it.

      Cheers,
      Amber

      p.s. platemaker and plates are looking great, thanks for the help.

      Amber Ellis-Seguine
      650.468.9537
      650.347.4066

      On Apr 14, 2011, at 11:49 AM, Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

      On 14 Apr 2011, at 1:37 PM, Selene F wrote:

      > Just to confirm, all the areas that look like they are blind printed: the scallops, the ampersand, the map; those were all done with the slight tint you described? It looks terrific! I might have to give this a try, to enhance the next blind impression that I do.

      Exactly. Since it's on a lighter weight (Copperplate Etching 300gsm) when I ran it without the glaze, you could barely see the impression. I don't want to punch through the back of a thinner sheet. If I have the depth of the double-thick stock, I'll go deep, but otherwise this allows us to get the visual effect with sensitivity to the materials.

      I have to say that the Hahnemuhle Copperplate (Atlantic Papers, Importers) is one of the most perfect letterpress sheets I've ever used. It makes Lettra seem like dried up newsprint.

      Cheers!

      > Thanks for posting,
      > Selene

    • Nicholas
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 17, 2011

        I'm looking for letterpress folks in the Jackson, MS area.  If anyone can point any out to me,
        I'll appreciate it.

        T. J. Ray

      • Ed Inman
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 17, 2011

          I'd be glad to work/teach at the state Ag museum print shop for as little as $20/hr.
          I doubt anyone with a lifetime of letterpress experience is going to offer it any cheaper.
          Ed
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 18, 2011
            Brian--

            Where did you get the Van Son overprint varnish?

            Thanks,
            Mark Olson
            Innerer Klang Letterpress
            Asheville, NC
            No tornadoes here either, thank Gutenberg

> [...]

            On 14 Apr 2011, at 1:37 PM, Selene F wrote:

            > Just to confirm, all the areas that look like they are blind printed: the scallops, the ampersand, the map; those were all done with the slight tint you described? It looks terrific! I might have to give this a try, to enhance the next blind impression that I do.

            Exactly. Since it's on a lighter weight (Copperplate Etching 300gsm) when I ran it without the glaze, you could barely see the impression. I don't want to punch through the back of a thinner sheet. If I have the depth of the double-thick stock, I'll go deep, but otherwise this allows us to get the visual effect with sensitivity to the materials.

            I have to say that the Hahnemuhle Copperplate (Atlantic Papers, Importers) is one of the most perfect letterpress sheets I've ever used. It makes Lettra seem like dried up newsprint.

          • Brian Allen
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 18, 2011
              I think I got it at Cobe Graphics in Raleigh; though Xpedx has or can get it in its retail stores. There's one in Charlotte. I imagine most ink companies can do the same or have an equivalent. My can says "High Gloss Overprint Varnish"; Van Son product V2174. (Not #30 varnish as I said before.)

              Brian Allen
              Durham, North Carolina