Bottom lit exposure unit

  • Kernow Craig
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2011
      Bottom lit exposure unit Hi,

      At our print studio we have a good pp washout unit and now we’re looking at getting a good exposure unit to complete our plate making setup (a process camera with film set up with follow down the track).

      I’ve noticed that a majority PP exposure units are top lit, however I’ve been offered a bottom lit vacuum exposure unit. The diffuser layer is adhered directly to the glass. Being bottom lit means that the  polymer plate would lay face down on the film.

      Any advice or shared experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance from Sydney, Australia.

      Kernow

      --

      Kernow Craig
      BLOOD & THUNDER

      P: +61 (0)403 453 949
      E: kernow@...
      W: www.bloodandthunder.com.au
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2011
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kernow Craig <kernow@...> wrote:

        > . . . I¹ve
        > been offered a bottom lit vacuum exposure unit. The diffuser layer is
        > adhered directly to the glass. Being bottom lit means that the polymer
        > plate would lay face down on the film.

        With a face-down exposure unit, you will be working blind, so a very clean working environment would be important. That is, you won't be aware if any dust, hair, or other foreign matter is in the image area until you've processed and proofed the plate. These can ruin a plate and require remakes which can become costly.
        The normal face-up design, whether glass or krene over the material, lets you see that all is clean and ready to expose.
        But if the unit is free or cheap, use it until a better one is available.
        --Eic Holub, SF
      • Kernow Craig
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2011
          Thanks for the insight Eic, that makes sense.
          Our print studio does have dust so we'll pass on the bottom-lit exposure unit and get something that we can use the compressed air on with more confidence.

          Kernow