RE: [PPLetterpress] Blurry type

  • Joel Benson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26 10:39 AM
      "I found if I put 4 points worth of leads right around the plate edges
      it
      eliminated this.

      Scott Baldwin"

      This technique works for me, too. I might add that I use 6 pt. and
      leave a little 1/8" channel between the leads and the plate material,
      but I bet the space isn't really necessary with 4 pt.

      Does anyone else burnish the negative, to push the bubbles out? I
      massage the negative against the plate material with a plastic tool that
      I found in the street, so I don't know where you buy them or what they
      are called. It is like a little blade of some soft plastic with a
      slightly rounded edge. Kind of like a bowl/dough scraper, for those who
      are familiar with kitchen tools, but a little sturdier. I just squeeze
      the bubbles off the edge of the plate.

      If you cut the negative to be just smaller (like 1/16th inch is fine)
      than the plate material you don't need to use the leads, since there is
      no overhang to bubble up, but then you have to mess around with chopping
      the negative and so forth, and that can be a pain if you are trying to
      do a lot of plates. The lead trick can be efficient, but you have to be
      careful of putting dimples or wrinkles in the negative, especially if
      you are massaging it with a nameless plastic tool and especially if you
      are ganging up several items on one negative and then only making one of
      them. Place the leads carefully so that they aren't in areas of the
      negative that have other images.

      Joel Benson
      Dependable Letterpress
      San Francisco