Introduction, quickly followed by several questions: (washout, dryer, InterflexA4)

  • Amber Ellis-Seguine
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
      Hi everyone,
      Long time lurker, first time platemaker owner here. My name is Amber Ellis Seguine and I am located just south of San Francisco. I own and operate my own letterpress shop. My main press is a 10 x 15 Hedi my second press is a KSBA. I started printing in college and bought my own press in 2005. I have printed on Kluges, C&P's, Vandercooks, and Heidelbergs. I am not (that) new to printing...but very new to platemaking and any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

      Just recently I bought an Interflex A4. I have used it once before and it worked! I made a very small plate. Everything went well. Shortly after that amazing experience I went to make another plate, this time a larger one. It seems that the step up converter (that was sold with the platemaker) wasn't the correct size(?) for the machines and crapped out on us. In a new space the platemaker is now plugged into the wall, each unit (Interflex A4 is stacked washout unit on top of dryer/exposure unit), in a 220 outlet. Nothing is wrong with the outlet yet the platemakers exposure/dryer unit stopped working all together. . . curious I know. My handy husband removed the back of the platemaker only to find a maroon looking strip that seemed to have tripped.We pushed it back in and viola it worked!

      My first question is what is that and why is it happening?

      Next when I washed out that first plate is was great. All the "slimy" stuff washed away and I was left with a fantastic plate. This time not so much. I washed and I washed for what seemed like forever (10 minutes) and I know that isn't a good thing, esp. for fine detail work. And after all that washing it was still slimy where the plate hadn't been exposed. I tested the brushes and they seem to not be hitting the mounting rubber evenly (I mounted a piece of thick coated stock and saw the brush marks in only the lower left hand side).

      My second question is what does this mean? Do I need new brushes? Can I adjust them to be closer to the mounting rubber?

      Lastly, the temperature reads on both the dryer and the bath seem to never stop climbing. I set them according to the plate specs via Boxcar (using 94FL plastic backed plates), but they don't stay put once they reach their set temp.

      Third question(s), how do I fix that? Is that normal? Does the dryer getting hotter and hotter have anything to do with the unit shutting down? Is it over heating?

      Thanks so much,
      Amber

      Amber Ellis-Seguine
      Flywheel Press
      650.468.9537
      650.347.4066

    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
        Amber

        There should be a primary control that limits the amount of heating. It's located on the back of A&V models. Something like this could get disturbed during moving the machine. Do you have a manual for the platemaker?

        > Lastly, the temperature reads on both the dryer and the bath seem to
        > never stop climbing. I set them according to the plate specs via
        > Boxcar (using 94FL plastic backed plates), but they don't stay put
        > once they reach their set temp.
        >
        > Third question(s), how do I fix that? Is that normal? Does the dryer
        > getting hotter and hotter have anything to do with the unit shutting
        > down? Is it over heating?
        >
        > Thanks so much,
        > Amber

        > Amber Ellis-Seguine
        > Flywheel Press
        > flywheelpress.com
        > 650.468.9537
        > 650.347.4066

      • Eric
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Amber Ellis-Seguine <amber@...> wrote:

          >. . . My handy husband removed the back of the
          > platemaker only to find a maroon looking strip that seemed to have
          > tripped.We pushed it back in and viola it worked!

          Don't know the Interflex, but the Polimero has just such a safety switch. It shuts off the heater circuit when it goes over a certain temperature, such as when someone turns on the bath heater with no water there. That protects the heater elements from burning out. But there has to be a sensor or thermocouple to check the temp and activate the safety switch, and I suppose that is another potential point of failure
          --Eric Holub, SF
        • Amber Ellis-Seguine
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
            I don't have a manual. I have been searching the internet for one all afternoon. I'd be happy to pay for a copy of one, if anyone has one to copy.

            Gerald, I really, really appreciate your help. I am not near the platemaker now but will be tomorrow and will check the back. From what I can remember we had to take the back panels off to see anything. There are two fuses on the back of the bottom unit but nothing else...lots and lots of stuff under the panel though. ;)

            Amber

            On Apr 6, 2011, at 8:31 PM, bielerpr wrote:

            Amber

            There should be a primary control that limits the amount of heating. It's located on the back of A&V models. Something like this could get disturbed during moving the machine. Do you have a manual for the platemaker?

            > Lastly, the temperature reads on both the dryer and the bath seem to
            > never stop climbing. I set them according to the plate specs via
            > Boxcar (using 94FL plastic backed plates), but they don't stay put
            > once they reach their set temp.
            >
            > Third question(s), how do I fix that? Is that normal? Does the dryer
            > getting hotter and hotter have anything to do with the unit shutting
            > down? Is it over heating?
            >
            > Thanks so much,
            > Amber

            > Amber Ellis-Seguine
            > Flywheel Press
            > flywheelpress.com
            > 650.468.9537
            > 650.347.4066

          • Amber Ellis-Seguine
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
              Eric...
              Confession we did over heat the bath with little to no water (I am ashamed) but the bath unit and the dryer unit are literally separate units. No electrical components are shared. So I am guess for some reason that dryer doesn't stop heating up and shut down the machine. Hence the need to switch that maroon switch back in. But why would the machine keep climbing after I set the temp? That is the strange part. Unless the way to set the temp is widely different than setting it and pressing enter. Because that is what I did.
              Any thoughts on the brushes, and the washout? I spoke to Joel at Dependable and your name came up as a possible local helper....I appreciate the reply via email. I am in a bit of a pickle, of course I have a ton of plates to make...

              Thanks again,
              Amber

              Amber Ellis-Seguine
              650.468.9537
              650.347.4066

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
                Hi again

                Usually the manual has the electrical schematics. Quite important with these machines, as I have mentioned, I think you do need to have an electrician check the machine over and this would help greatly.

                There should be one out there. Good luck.

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Amber Ellis-Seguine <amber@...> wrote:

                > I don't have a manual. I have been searching the internet for one all
                > afternoon. I'd be happy to pay for a copy of one, if anyone has one to
                > copy.
                >
                > Gerald, I really, really appreciate your help. I am not near the
                > platemaker now but will be tomorrow and will check the back. From what
                > I can remember we had to take the back panels off to see anything.
                > There are two fuses on the back of the bottom unit but nothing
                > else...lots and lots of stuff under the panel though. ;)
                >
                > Amber
                >
                > On Apr 6, 2011, at 8:31 PM, bielerpr wrote:
                >

                > > Amber
                > >
                > > There should be a primary control that limits the amount of heating.
                > > It's located on the back of A&V models. Something like this could
                > > get disturbed during moving the machine. Do you have a manual for
                > > the platemaker?
                > >
                > > Gerald
                > > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
                > >

                > > > Lastly, the temperature reads on both the dryer and the bath seem to
                > > > never stop climbing. I set them according to the plate specs via
                > > > Boxcar (using 94FL plastic backed plates), but they don't stay put
                > > > once they reach their set temp.
                > > >
                > > > Third question(s), how do I fix that? Is that normal? Does the dryer
                > > > getting hotter and hotter have anything to do with the unit shutting
                > > > down? Is it over heating?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks so much,
                > > > Amber

                > > > Amber Ellis-Seguine
                > > > Flywheel Press
                > > > flywheelpress.com
                > > > 650.468.9537
                > > > 650.347.4066

              • Amber Ellis-Seguine
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2011
                  Update to my crisis...

                  Pardon my "overdoing" it with these emails. I have searched the archives many times for many groups and nothing is more frustrating than to find emails and not know what the heck they are talking about.

                  1. I have adjusted the brushes...much better results, no problem there. It was very simple just had to unscrew the      4 screws, lifted the brushs up and adjusted the little screw knobs below. I exposed 4 small pieces and washed    them out in each corner to make sure we were even steven across the brushes.

                  2. I played with the temp on the "bath water" It seems to stabilize itself...eventually but not on the desired temp I          set. I figure I can work with this for the time being but would like to figure out a better solution. I set for 23 C      it goes to 26 C. . . could be worse. Just wonder what should the water feel like. When mine read 26 it was like    bath water that had been standing for a while, a bit chilly. Not really warm or cold. Room temp?

                  3. The dryer that is a bit more troublesome. I decided on my test run today I would lower my desired temp to 60     C (boxcar plate info suggested 80 C, unless I misread something, which is entirely possible). When I set it to     60 C it steadily climbed past 60 C landing on 69.9 C. Then it feel to 63 C, sat there for a while went down to     59.9 C. Again sat there and then climbed back to 63. After all that it seemed to like it between 63 and 60. All      of this took place within 10 minutes.

                  As a new platemaker (me not the machine) I understand why exposure and wash out times are important and how they effect detail, shoulders etc (working on getting Gerald's book and welcome any other reading material suggestions or tips). I am not sure what the effects are with drying temp and time.
                  Again I am so grateful for everyone who was able to help emailing me. I know most of you are old hats at this stuff and on top of that you're busy. So thanks again for taking the time. Here's hoping I can get ALL of these plates made with minimal pain!

                  Cheers,
                  Amber

                  Amber Ellis-Seguine
                  Flywheel Press