Re: [PPLetterpress] request for assistance

  • Austin Jones
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2011

      Ed,

      O yes, there was a time . . .

      One of the advantages of the digital age is being able to leave the camera, scanner, and printer unused for weeks at a time and they are all ready and willing to work at a touch of the button. I recall several years ago, I worked for IBM supporting the IBM Composer. I had a customer who used the Composer to type names etc. to be used to print greeting cards. The names were coming out very uneven and unclear. Every couple weeks they would take the list, use a process camera to make a lith negative. The equipment were unused except for this application. The operator was the maint man in the facility. I arranged to be there the next time the application was run. He was using AB concentrate - I cannot remember the exact solution mix - He ran the hottest water from the spigot, added the concentrate, shot the neg. put the neg in the extremely hot developer, when the image appeared he pulled the neg and put into stop. When I suggested he needed to reduce the exposure, have the developer at 68 degrees and time the development, he had never such a thing.

      It took most of the morning but we got a good neg and that batch of greeting cards were properly exposed.

      My point - the equipment and material were capable of doing a good job. The fact that it was needed very infrequently lead to a attitude of relying on equipment rather than the skill of the operator.

      Austin Jones
      austin@...
      From: Austin Jones
      Making a good negative the first time is a learned skill. And you gotta do it all the time to stay good.

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Susan MAKOV" <smakov@...> wrote:

        > I wondered if anyone was having problems obtaining high contrast film and developer these days.

        Sure. All my old suppliers have gone out of business, and manufacturers have been eliminating materials steadily. But at the moment I am using Pressline HD film (from Kelly paper) and long-life sigle-solution HD developer, with good results by tray development. It is not quite as good as hybrid film, which was a huge improvement over lith film and AB developer, but much better than RA film, which is not dense enough to use with photopolymer unless it is machine-processed.
        For really fine line work or tricky copy, I will shoot a thin neg for detail, then do a contact dupe for density.
        --Eric Holub, SF
      • author50401
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2011
          Badger Graphics has been a supplier to small newspapers and printers for many years, and still lists lith film and developers in their catalog: http://www.badgergraphic.com/17ed.pdf . Badger also lists some basic letterpress supplies as well.

          I used to purchase film from Freestyle Sales in Los Angeles, but in a quick look at their website offerings, I don't see lith film, but they do have A&B Lith developer listed. Perhaps they have the film also, but I just didn't see it.

          John Henry