Film Options

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2011
      As the local print shop's imagesetter workflow has suddenly become way too much trouble to deal with, I'm looking for good quality, high-density reasonably priced film output bureau.

      The big advantage of the local guys is that I can walk over there, and don't have to pay for overnight/2-day shipping.
      Also that they've been charging about $8/sq ft.
      However, they have become more and more vexatious to work with, and I've had enough.

      I produce my own fully separated spot plates with Adobe Distiller and don't expect anybody to do anything else for me, but now they're expecting me to change all my spot colors to "C0M0Y0K100%" so that they don't have to run a separate piece of film for my jobs.

      Whatever.

      Suggestions highly appreciated.

      Peter

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite letterpress takes time™
      http://slowprint.com/

      IdeasWords : Idea Swords
      Communication Strategy
      Semiotx.com @ideaswords
    • Robert E Blesse
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2011
        Peter,

        We use Smart Set in Minneapolis. Good quality and fast turnaround. Not too far from you.

        www.smartset.com

        Bob

        ROBERT E. BLESSE
        Director, The Black Rock Press
        Department of Art/224
        University of Nevada, Reno
        Reno, NV 89557
        775.682.5630 - office
        775.233.2546 - mobile
        775.784-6655 - fax
        blesse@...
        www.blackrockpress.org

        As the local print shop's imagesetter workflow has suddenly become way too much trouble to deal with, I'm looking for good quality, high-density reasonably priced film output bureau.

        The big advantage of the local guys is that I can walk over there, and don't have to pay for overnight/2-day shipping.
        Also that they've been charging about $8/sq ft.
        However, they have become more and more vexatious to work with, and I've had enough.

        I produce my own fully separated spot plates with Adobe Distiller and don't expect anybody to do anything else for me, but now they're expecting me to change all my spot colors to "C0M0Y0K100%" so that they don't have to run a separate piece of film for my jobs.

        Whatever.

        Suggestions highly appreciated.

        Peter

        Peter Fraterdeus
        Exquisite letterpress takes time(tm)
        http://slowprint.com/

        IdeasWords : Idea Swords
        Communication Strategy
        Semiotx.com @ideaswords

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2011
          Thanks Bob,

          Smart Set does look like a good possibility.

          Cheers!

          Peter

          On 18 Mar 2011, at 5:40 PM, Robert E Blesse wrote:

          > Peter,
          >
          > We use Smart Set in Minneapolis. Good quality and fast turnaround. Not too far from you.
          >
          > www.smartset.com
          >
          > Bob

          > ROBERT E. BLESSE
          > Director, The Black Rock Press
          > Department of Art/224
          > University of Nevada, Reno
          > Reno, NV 89557
          > 775.682.5630 - office
          > 775.233.2546 - mobile
          > 775.784-6655 - fax
          > blesse@...
          > www.blackrockpress.org

        • andrew mcculloh
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2011
            When I lived in Minneapolis, I had all my film processed by Smart Set. They are used to getting jobs from students at the Minnesota center for book arts, so they have experience with all levels of printers and do good work.

            Andrew

            On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:

            Thanks Bob,

            Smart Set does look like a good possibility.

            Cheers!

            Peter

            On 18 Mar 2011, at 5:40 PM, Robert E Blesse wrote:

            > Peter,
            >
            > We use Smart Set in Minneapolis. Good quality and fast turnaround. Not too far from you.
            >
            > www.smartset.com
            >
            > Bob

            > ROBERT E. BLESSE
            > Director, The Black Rock Press
            > Department of Art/224
            > University of Nevada, Reno
            > Reno, NV 89557
            > 775.682.5630 - office
            > 775.233.2546 - mobile
            > 775.784-6655 - fax
            > blesse@...
            > www.blackrockpress.org

          • Harold Kyle
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18, 2011
              Ah Smartset. Likewise have fond memories of their attention to detail and helpfulness. I got a rude awakening when I moved to Syracuse, because no one was nearly as dependable or customer-focused. Looks like they're still cranking film out on the trusty ol Lino 330, which I recall survived a fall out the back of a dock truck.

              Harold

              PS Heya Andrew!

              ---
              Boxcar Press