What kind of tape holds the visquine down on a platemaker

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 14 8:17 PM
      The sticky border that holds the vacuum sheet down in my plate maker
      is losing its sticky.

      Anybody know what sort of tape this is? It's not common double-sided
      stuff. That would have come apart or worn out years ago.

      --Scott
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 14 9:20 PM
        Hi Scott

        You are far better off not using tape at all. Just cut a sheet of
        kreene to the size of the vacuum table but about a half inch shorter
        both length and width, you will be a much happier camper. Flip back the
        kreene, place the plate and neg, and flip back the kreene. No more messy
        tape, no more vacuum problems caused by it.

        I've been doing this for many years and every platemaker I have
        suggested this to swears by it as well. I additionally add 6-pt brass
        rule at the edges of the vacuum table, cut to its width and length on
        all four sides after placement of the kreene and with the vacuum turned
        on. This ensures the kreene won't buckle and leak during exposure.

        On 3/14/11 8:17 PM, Scott Rubel wrote:
        > The sticky border that holds the vacuum sheet down in my plate maker
        > is losing its sticky.
        >
        > Anybody know what sort of tape this is? It's not common double-sided
        > stuff. That would have come apart or worn out years ago.
        >
        > --Scott

      • CaseyM
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 17 6:51 AM
          Thanks for everyones responses. It appears I need another way to dispose of the water and into the septic tank may not be the appropriate solution.

          Many thanks as always.

          Casey McGarr
          Inky Lips Letterpress
        • okintertype
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 17 5:47 PM
            Casey: I don't think a small amount of solution would hurt your septic system. Now if you were a big commercial operation, running many plates per day, that might be another matter. The important thing for septic system health is to pump the inevitable solids on a regular basis. How often depends on your situation. Okla. State Univ. recommends every three to five years. We have a 1,000 gal. tank with only one or two people living here. I pumped the tank at seven years, and found a modest amount of sludge. Many people around here don't ever pump them, the sludge eventually gets into the drainage field, and then you have to replace the drainage field. That's a big expensive job.
            Stan