Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: off the (plumbing) grid platemakers?

  • Fred Smith
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 14, 2011
      Can a septic system even accept ppl waste water? Septic systems require certain bacteria to processs the waste put in. If the material is toxic, it will kill the bacteria and you will have to have the system pumped clean. Tell them its becuase of ppl waste and they may need to charge you a 'toxic' clean up fee. Even if the waste dosn't kill the bacteria, if it cant' be broken down, it will still clog the system with the same results. I would suggest contatcting the nearest septic cleaning company for advice. They'd either know or know who to contact.

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 14, 2011
        The sticky border that holds the vacuum sheet down in my plate maker
        is losing its sticky.

        Anybody know what sort of tape this is? It's not common double-sided
        stuff. That would have come apart or worn out years ago.

        --Scott
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 14, 2011
          Hi Scott

          You are far better off not using tape at all. Just cut a sheet of
          kreene to the size of the vacuum table but about a half inch shorter
          both length and width, you will be a much happier camper. Flip back the
          kreene, place the plate and neg, and flip back the kreene. No more messy
          tape, no more vacuum problems caused by it.

          I've been doing this for many years and every platemaker I have
          suggested this to swears by it as well. I additionally add 6-pt brass
          rule at the edges of the vacuum table, cut to its width and length on
          all four sides after placement of the kreene and with the vacuum turned
          on. This ensures the kreene won't buckle and leak during exposure.

          On 3/14/11 8:17 PM, Scott Rubel wrote:
          > The sticky border that holds the vacuum sheet down in my plate maker
          > is losing its sticky.
          >
          > Anybody know what sort of tape this is? It's not common double-sided
          > stuff. That would have come apart or worn out years ago.
          >
          > --Scott

        • CaseyM
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 17, 2011
            Thanks for everyones responses. It appears I need another way to dispose of the water and into the septic tank may not be the appropriate solution.

            Many thanks as always.

            Casey McGarr
            Inky Lips Letterpress
          • okintertype
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 17, 2011
              Casey: I don't think a small amount of solution would hurt your septic system. Now if you were a big commercial operation, running many plates per day, that might be another matter. The important thing for septic system health is to pump the inevitable solids on a regular basis. How often depends on your situation. Okla. State Univ. recommends every three to five years. We have a 1,000 gal. tank with only one or two people living here. I pumped the tank at seven years, and found a modest amount of sludge. Many people around here don't ever pump them, the sludge eventually gets into the drainage field, and then you have to replace the drainage field. That's a big expensive job.
              Stan