Re: off the (plumbing) grid platemakers?

  • Mark Attwood
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 10, 1937
      Hi Casey,

      I use a septic tank system, and have not seen any problems with polymer in the drain water in about 9 years.

      Regards,

      Mark.

      Mark Attwood

      tel 013 751 3225 or 083 676 3229

      The Artists' Press
      PO Box 1236
      White River
      1240

      www.artprintsa.com

    • Greg S
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 11, 1937
        Casey,
        From my understanding, there are a number of dynamics at work in a septic tank and drainfield. Activities inside the septic tank break down solids into liquids and gases. Non-digested solids sink to the bottom of the tank and are periodically pumped out. Liquids float out of the tank into the drainfield (leech field), where they dissipate into ground water or are consumed by plants. I do not know if photopolymer gets converted into something benign in the septic tank or if it stays in solution to be transported to the drainfield where it could also possibly be benign. I would tend to think that liquid plastic in a drainfield would build up and cause problems with water dissipation. When there is enough of a problem (years or decades), the field fails and it is time to get out the checkbook. An evaporation tank would work, particularly in warm climates. I would consider pouring the solution on the ground before putting it into a drainfield, a plastic coated driveway.
        -- Greg S

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 11, 1937
          Can a septic system even accept ppl waste water? Septic systems require certain bacteria to processs the waste put in. If the material is toxic, it will kill the bacteria and you will have to have the system pumped clean. Tell them its becuase of ppl waste and they may need to charge you a 'toxic' clean up fee. Even if the waste dosn't kill the bacteria, if it cant' be broken down, it will still clog the system with the same results. I would suggest contatcting the nearest septic cleaning company for advice. They'd either know or know who to contact.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 11, 1937
            The sticky border that holds the vacuum sheet down in my plate maker
            is losing its sticky.

            Anybody know what sort of tape this is? It's not common double-sided
            stuff. That would have come apart or worn out years ago.

            --Scott
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 11, 1937
              Hi Scott

              You are far better off not using tape at all. Just cut a sheet of
              kreene to the size of the vacuum table but about a half inch shorter
              both length and width, you will be a much happier camper. Flip back the
              kreene, place the plate and neg, and flip back the kreene. No more messy
              tape, no more vacuum problems caused by it.

              I've been doing this for many years and every platemaker I have
              suggested this to swears by it as well. I additionally add 6-pt brass
              rule at the edges of the vacuum table, cut to its width and length on
              all four sides after placement of the kreene and with the vacuum turned
              on. This ensures the kreene won't buckle and leak during exposure.

              On 3/14/11 8:17 PM, Scott Rubel wrote:
              > The sticky border that holds the vacuum sheet down in my plate maker
              > is losing its sticky.
              >
              > Anybody know what sort of tape this is? It's not common double-sided
              > stuff. That would have come apart or worn out years ago.
              >
              > --Scott

            • CaseyM
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 14, 1937
                Thanks for everyones responses. It appears I need another way to dispose of the water and into the septic tank may not be the appropriate solution.

                Many thanks as always.

                Casey McGarr
                Inky Lips Letterpress
              • okintertype
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 14, 1937
                  Casey: I don't think a small amount of solution would hurt your septic system. Now if you were a big commercial operation, running many plates per day, that might be another matter. The important thing for septic system health is to pump the inevitable solids on a regular basis. How often depends on your situation. Okla. State Univ. recommends every three to five years. We have a 1,000 gal. tank with only one or two people living here. I pumped the tank at seven years, and found a modest amount of sludge. Many people around here don't ever pump them, the sludge eventually gets into the drainage field, and then you have to replace the drainage field. That's a big expensive job.
                  Stan