Re: off the (plumbing) grid platemakers?

  • CaseyM
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 13 8:30 AM
      I would like to add a question. I moved to Arkansas and the house is on a septic tank. My platemaker is an Orbital Vlll which holds about 9 gallons of water. Does any anyone know if the water washout disposal down the drain would affect the septic tanks negatively?

      Casey McGarr
      Inky Lips Press
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 13 6:22 PM
        I've wondered the same thing. Our new building is on septic rather than city sewer like we were for the first 13 years I ran our platemaker. I did a check to see what is actually suspended in the water and let a 5 gallon bucket with washout waste evaporate over a couple of months and the nasty sticky stuff that remained convinced me that I don't want it in our septic system. Granted that it gets diluted in any system, but these results were not to my liking. We may put as much crud and dirt into a sewer system when washing a load of dirty clothes, but I have been hesitant about the polymer waste. It does go back into solution when warm water is put back into the bucket, but still---.

        Fritz

        I would like to add a question. I moved to Arkansas and the house is on a septic tank. My platemaker is an Orbital Vlll which holds about 9 gallons of water. Does any anyone know if the water washout disposal down the drain would affect the septic tanks negatively?

        Casey McGarr
        Inky Lips Press

      • bielerpr
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 13 7:33 PM
          Casey

          When Patrick Reagh moved to northern California he encountered a similar problem. I believe local ordinances did not allow him to dump his photopolymer waste into the septic system. So he put a big tank outside of his building and dumps directly into that. He lets the liquid evaporate and then occasionally digs out the particulate matter and disposes of it. At least that is how I recall the conversation I had with him about it.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "CaseyM" <casey@...> wrote:

          > I would like to add a question. I moved to Arkansas and the house is on a septic tank. My platemaker is an Orbital Vlll which holds about 9 gallons of water. Does any anyone know if the water washout disposal down the drain would affect the septic tanks negatively?
          >

          > Casey McGarr
          > Inky Lips Press

        • Mark Attwood
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 14 4:04 AM
            Hi Casey,

            I use a septic tank system, and have not seen any problems with polymer in the drain water in about 9 years.

            Regards,

            Mark.

            Mark Attwood

            tel 013 751 3225 or 083 676 3229

            The Artists' Press
            PO Box 1236
            White River
            1240

            www.artprintsa.com

          • Greg S
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 14 5:54 AM
              Casey,
              From my understanding, there are a number of dynamics at work in a septic tank and drainfield. Activities inside the septic tank break down solids into liquids and gases. Non-digested solids sink to the bottom of the tank and are periodically pumped out. Liquids float out of the tank into the drainfield (leech field), where they dissipate into ground water or are consumed by plants. I do not know if photopolymer gets converted into something benign in the septic tank or if it stays in solution to be transported to the drainfield where it could also possibly be benign. I would tend to think that liquid plastic in a drainfield would build up and cause problems with water dissipation. When there is enough of a problem (years or decades), the field fails and it is time to get out the checkbook. An evaporation tank would work, particularly in warm climates. I would consider pouring the solution on the ground before putting it into a drainfield, a plastic coated driveway.
              -- Greg S

              When Patrick Reagh moved to northern California he encountered a similar problem. I believe local ordinances did not allow him to dump his photopolymer waste into the septic system. So he put a big tank outside of his building and dumps directly into that. He lets the liquid evaporate and then occasionally digs out the particulate matter and disposes of it. At least that is how I recall the conversation I had with him about it.

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "CaseyM" <casey@...> wrote:

              > I would like to add a question. I moved to Arkansas and the house is on a septic tank. My platemaker is an Orbital Vlll which holds about 9 gallons of water. Does any anyone know if the water washout disposal down the drain would affect the septic tanks negatively?
              >

              > Casey McGarr
              > Inky Lips Press

              No virus found in this message.

            • Fred Smith
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 14 7:02 AM
                Can a septic system even accept ppl waste water? Septic systems require certain bacteria to processs the waste put in. If the material is toxic, it will kill the bacteria and you will have to have the system pumped clean. Tell them its becuase of ppl waste and they may need to charge you a 'toxic' clean up fee. Even if the waste dosn't kill the bacteria, if it cant' be broken down, it will still clog the system with the same results. I would suggest contatcting the nearest septic cleaning company for advice. They'd either know or know who to contact.

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 14 8:17 PM
                  The sticky border that holds the vacuum sheet down in my plate maker
                  is losing its sticky.

                  Anybody know what sort of tape this is? It's not common double-sided
                  stuff. That would have come apart or worn out years ago.

                  --Scott
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 14 9:20 PM
                    Hi Scott

                    You are far better off not using tape at all. Just cut a sheet of
                    kreene to the size of the vacuum table but about a half inch shorter
                    both length and width, you will be a much happier camper. Flip back the
                    kreene, place the plate and neg, and flip back the kreene. No more messy
                    tape, no more vacuum problems caused by it.

                    I've been doing this for many years and every platemaker I have
                    suggested this to swears by it as well. I additionally add 6-pt brass
                    rule at the edges of the vacuum table, cut to its width and length on
                    all four sides after placement of the kreene and with the vacuum turned
                    on. This ensures the kreene won't buckle and leak during exposure.

                    On 3/14/11 8:17 PM, Scott Rubel wrote:
                    > The sticky border that holds the vacuum sheet down in my plate maker
                    > is losing its sticky.
                    >
                    > Anybody know what sort of tape this is? It's not common double-sided
                    > stuff. That would have come apart or worn out years ago.
                    >
                    > --Scott

                  • CaseyM
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 17 6:51 AM
                      Thanks for everyones responses. It appears I need another way to dispose of the water and into the septic tank may not be the appropriate solution.

                      Many thanks as always.

                      Casey McGarr
                      Inky Lips Letterpress
                    • okintertype
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 17 5:47 PM
                        Casey: I don't think a small amount of solution would hurt your septic system. Now if you were a big commercial operation, running many plates per day, that might be another matter. The important thing for septic system health is to pump the inevitable solids on a regular basis. How often depends on your situation. Okla. State Univ. recommends every three to five years. We have a 1,000 gal. tank with only one or two people living here. I pumped the tank at seven years, and found a modest amount of sludge. Many people around here don't ever pump them, the sludge eventually gets into the drainage field, and then you have to replace the drainage field. That's a big expensive job.
                        Stan