how to prevent rust in the washout tub

  • vivadakiva
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2011
      hey there

      i just got a used jet photopolymer platemaker (the kind with the buttons), i tried it out when i got it home and it worked great. However after a thorough cleaning i left the machine full of water and came back and everything was covered in a fine layer of rust. is there something i can seal it with? should i oil it? the screws in the brush plate and all the seams seem to be the big culprits, however, the whole basin (which is stainless steel) was also covered. should i just drain it after each use and dry it, but what of the brushes, i thought they had to be immersed in water...what do you all recommend?

      thanks
      kiva
    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2011
        kiva

        My understanding of the Jet machines is, yes, that the brushes are to be kept in a bath full of water. This may have to do with the type of brushes themselves. I think they are synthetic. [?] I have a Anderson & Vreeland unit with horsehair brushes and those are supposed to be left with the bath emptied. I've only had to replace the brushes once in sixteen years so I suspect this is correct. I do religiously comb the brushes and rotate plate placement so this may contribute to their longevity.

        I put a cup of vinegar in my bath every time I fill it (as recommended) and have not encountered rust, except, as you mention, on the screws and seams. I don't think this is a big deal though (and can readily be removed with de-rusting solutions). The stainless steel (if it is stainless) is likely not rusting [?] but is coated from something else. When you cleaned it did you flush the bath? did you by accident leave something in there, like a bunched up roll of steel wool? Just guessing.

        But. . . don't put oil on anything IN the bath unit.