Half cases

  • Barbarian Press
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8 10:37 PM
      Hello Everyone,

      Does anyone know where I might be able to find one or two cabinets of half cases? What I have in mind are cases measuring about 14 inches wide by 14 - 15 inches deep: the one cabinet I have has forty such cases in two stacks of twenty. We have over 100 packages of  ornaments new from the foundry which we need to get into cases so I can use them, and I'm having no luck finding anything suitable so far.

      We are in British Columbia, near Vancouver, so the closer the better, of course. But we do have an American shipping address in Sumas, Washington to which something could be shipped, where we could collect it.

      Many thanks for any ideas or advice. I've written to Dave Churchman and to Don Black, and await replies.

      Best wishes to all,

      Crispin

      Crispin & Jan Elsted at Barbarian Press
      12375 Ainsworth Street
      Mission
      British Columbia   V4S 1L4
      Canada

      Tel. 604 826 8089
      E.mail. Barbarian_Press@...
      Website  www.barbarianpress.com
    • Norman McKnight
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9 6:55 AM

        Crispin:

        I have a lot of piece borders & some signs & symbols. I had Bixler cast a very great number of them

        later as well, because as you know a font will only set a jam jar label. My solution to storage of them

        was to acquire a Ludlow cabinet. It’s perfect for them & it will likely hold all you will ever own. It’s

        also useful for storing accented sorts & signs & symbols which do not readily find a place in ordinary

        case layouts. There is a picture of this arrangement on my website www.philoxeniapress.com

        This arrangement also has the advantage of a large working top for mounting the units into frames

        or for other work in progress as you can see. I now have a very old news rack which I use only for

        accented sorts, ligatures, diphthongs & cut-backs, liturgical symbols, fractions, etc. so they are used

        from time to time & readily available without wondering where they are. There is also no dedicated

        place for them in the California Jobbing case anyway, so rather than an impromptu arrangements

        it has been useful to have these things separate.  Best of luck in sorting this out, as I know you will.

        Norman McKnight

        Philoxenia Press

        Berkeley