Re: [PPLetterpress] proofing ink source?

  • Rick Harden
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
      I just talked to the Guys (Rick & Charley), and they do carry and mix Letterpress ink.  They are located in Austin, Texas and ship anywhere.  Very low prices, Fast Service, and in most cases SAME DAY SHIPPING !!  Call them at 888-898-3330.
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "author50401" <JohnH@...> wrote:

        > I had several cans of Vandercook ink at one time, but never used it as I clean the press after every use. I will check my ink storage to see if I still might have some of the original Vandercook ink and if it is any good at this point. I will let you know if I find some.

        I have opened a number of cans of different proofing inks (Vandercook made several kinds and there were other brands too) and all were pretty much dried solid, not just skinned. These were all repro inks, maybe intended for use in proof dryers. It makes me wonder if they are rubber base, because normal oil base inks don't dry like that.
        That kind of ink isn't needed for ordinary proofing. If you are hand-inking on a galley proof press, a slow-drying ink could be brayered from a sealable container to keep the dust out.
        Eric Holub, SF
      • Steve Robison
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
          Try "Ink in Tubes"