Re: proofing ink source?

  • heytrollop
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hi,

      I'm selling, Ink in Tubes. We have a black rubber based ink. It's a 1/4 pound of ink in a tube for 11.50. I'll have to check your zip code to get a definite price for shipping, I'm guess it would be 5 bucks.

      and 10.95 worse case scenario if I ship it in a medium flat rate box.

      Let me know if you're interested. I've only got oil based in stock for immeditate shipping, but I'll be picking up more ink this week from Dave Robison (the ink in tubes guy).

      Best,
      Raven

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, dmm@... wrote:

      > After several months of "lurking," I finally have a question for
      > the list. Can anyone suggest a favorite brand of non-drying
      > proofing ink (black), and can anyone suggest a relatively economical
      > source for the same?
      >
      > In searching online, I found two brands, Harley and Mosstype.
      > I'm not sure how they differ. (I also found Charbonnel black
      > proofing ink, but it was considerably more expensive and seemed
      > directed to the printmaking community.)
      >
      > In looking for a source, I discovered that you could order directly
      > from Harley, but that an $18 bottle cost over $20 to ship. The only
      > other source I found (APR Flexo) had a $100 minimum order.
      > My needs are quite small - I just need a single tube of black
      > proofing ink.
      >
      > I'll actually be proofing from metal type with this, not PP,
      > but I'm asking the question here rather than LETPRESS because
      > the market for proofing inks today seems (from what I can tell)
      > to be in flexography/photopolymer.
      >
      > Thanks for any suggestions.
      >
      > Regards,
      > ===
      > Dr. David M. MacMillan * dmm@... * www.lemur.com & www.CircuitousRoot.com
      >
      > The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
      > - Paul Ehrlich (1854-1915); Aldo Leopold

    • Rick Harden
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
        Call Southern Ink.  888.898.3330

        I bet they can help, or point u n the right direction.

[...]

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com
        =======
      • author50401
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
          David:

          Daniel Smith produces relief printing inks with no added dryer. I have used these inks, and in a test, found that it did not dry for quite some time. It is available in 1 lb. cans or 1/4 lb tubes. It would be wise to schedule a cleaning every couple days if possible to eliminate incorporation of dust (no matter how clean your shop may be) in the ink which can cause "clumping" of the ink around the dust bunnies.

          It should stay open for a while on your proof press, but will dry eventually. I have found that rubber-based inks will stay open on the press, but if left for several days, will "tack up", and you will not get as good an image.

          I had several cans of Vandercook ink at one time, but never used it as I clean the press after every use. I will check my ink storage to see if I still might have some of the original Vandercook ink and if it is any good at this point. I will let you know if I find some.

          John Henry

        • CaBert@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
            Hi,

            I understand Gans Inks rubber line is a good ink to use with letterpress. I just got a lb. and will give it a try soon. They also have facilities throughout the country.

            Bert in Burbank, CA

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
              I just talked to the Guys (Rick & Charley), and they do carry and mix Letterpress ink.  They are located in Austin, Texas and ship anywhere.  Very low prices, Fast Service, and in most cases SAME DAY SHIPPING !!  Call them at 888-898-3330.
            • Eric
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "author50401" <JohnH@...> wrote:

                > I had several cans of Vandercook ink at one time, but never used it as I clean the press after every use. I will check my ink storage to see if I still might have some of the original Vandercook ink and if it is any good at this point. I will let you know if I find some.

                I have opened a number of cans of different proofing inks (Vandercook made several kinds and there were other brands too) and all were pretty much dried solid, not just skinned. These were all repro inks, maybe intended for use in proof dryers. It makes me wonder if they are rubber base, because normal oil base inks don't dry like that.
                That kind of ink isn't needed for ordinary proofing. If you are hand-inking on a galley proof press, a slow-drying ink could be brayered from a sealable container to keep the dust out.
                Eric Holub, SF
              • Steve Robison
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
                  Try "Ink in Tubes"