proofing ink source?

  • dmm@lemur.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
      After several months of "lurking," I finally have a question for
      the list. Can anyone suggest a favorite brand of non-drying
      proofing ink (black), and can anyone suggest a relatively economical
      source for the same?

      In searching online, I found two brands, Harley and Mosstype.
      I'm not sure how they differ. (I also found Charbonnel black
      proofing ink, but it was considerably more expensive and seemed
      directed to the printmaking community.)

      In looking for a source, I discovered that you could order directly
      from Harley, but that an $18 bottle cost over $20 to ship. The only
      other source I found (APR Flexo) had a $100 minimum order.
      My needs are quite small - I just need a single tube of black
      proofing ink.

      I'll actually be proofing from metal type with this, not PP,
      but I'm asking the question here rather than LETPRESS because
      the market for proofing inks today seems (from what I can tell)
      to be in flexography/photopolymer.

      Thanks for any suggestions.

      Regards,
      ===
      Dr. David M. MacMillan * dmm@... * www.lemur.com & www.CircuitousRoot.com

      The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
      - Paul Ehrlich (1854-1915); Aldo Leopold
    • okintertype
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
        I guess you need an ink like we used on our big (4 page) cylinder press at the weekly where I worked as a youth. I was there a year and we never cleaned the fountain or rollers, just added ink occasionally as needed. It never skinned over. We also used this ink for our proofing jobs. Don't ask me what it was. That was 60 years ago.
        Stan

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, dmm@... wrote:

        > After several months of "lurking," I finally have a question for
        > the list. Can anyone suggest a favorite brand of non-drying
        > proofing ink (black), and can anyone suggest a relatively economical
        > source for the same?
        >
        > In searching online, I found two brands, Harley and Mosstype.
        > I'm not sure how they differ. (I also found Charbonnel black
        > proofing ink, but it was considerably more expensive and seemed
        > directed to the printmaking community.)
        >
        > In looking for a source, I discovered that you could order directly
        > from Harley, but that an $18 bottle cost over $20 to ship. The only
        > other source I found (APR Flexo) had a $100 minimum order.
        > My needs are quite small - I just need a single tube of black
        > proofing ink.
        >
        > I'll actually be proofing from metal type with this, not PP,
        > but I'm asking the question here rather than LETPRESS because
        > the market for proofing inks today seems (from what I can tell)
        > to be in flexography/photopolymer.
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions.
        >
        > Regards,
        > ===
        > Dr. David M. MacMillan * dmm@... * www.lemur.com & www.CircuitousRoot.com
        >
        > The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
        > - Paul Ehrlich (1854-1915); Aldo Leopold

      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
          News ink, as used in the newspaper press, is not the same as proofing ink, like the Relyon brand ATF used to sell, and it was used for proofing on a proof press. Relyon was a liquid ink, and when I looked into this some years back, I drew a blank from numerous ink sources. I'm not sure why this would be desirable today except as a way to avoid washing up a press.

          Fritz

          I guess you need an ink like we used on our big (4 page) cylinder press at the weekly where I worked as a youth. I was there a year and we never cleaned the fountain or rollers, just added ink occasionally as needed. It never skinned over. We also used this ink for our proofing jobs. Don't ask me what it was. That was 60 years ago.
          Stan

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, dmm@... wrote:

          > After several months of "lurking," I finally have a question for
          > the list. Can anyone suggest a favorite brand of non-drying
          > proofing ink (black), and can anyone suggest a relatively economical
          > source for the same?
          >
          > In searching online, I found two brands, Harley and Mosstype.
          > I'm not sure how they differ. (I also found Charbonnel black
          > proofing ink, but it was considerably more expensive and seemed
          > directed to the printmaking community.)
          >
          > In looking for a source, I discovered that you could order directly
          > from Harley, but that an $18 bottle cost over $20 to ship. The only
          > other source I found (APR Flexo) had a $100 minimum order.
          > My needs are quite small - I just need a single tube of black
          > proofing ink.
          >
          > I'll actually be proofing from metal type with this, not PP,
          > but I'm asking the question here rather than LETPRESS because
          > the market for proofing inks today seems (from what I can tell)
          > to be in flexography/photopolymer.
          >
          > Thanks for any suggestions.
          >
          > Regards,
          > ===
          > Dr. David M. MacMillan * dmm@... * www.lemur.com & www.CircuitousRoot.com
          >
          > The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
          > - Paul Ehrlich (1854-1915); Aldo Leopold

        • Ed Inman
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
            Van Son Rubber Base black is about as good as any.
            Will not "skin" or oxidize and stays open on a press indefinitely with easy clean-up.
            http://www.vansonink.com/product1.aspx?Product_ID=53&
            Ed

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
              Yes, and Fritz at nagraph.com can fix you up with non-skinning Rubber Base  ink too for about the same price as Van Son if not cheaper. He's definitely a good guy to do business with.
              I'm not even sure what "proofing ink" is supposed to be but it sounds like somebody is just trying to confuse something simple in order to double the price.
              Ed
              News ink, as used in the newspaper press, is not the same as proofing ink, like the Relyon brand ATF used to sell, and it was used for proofing on a proof press. Relyon was a liquid ink, and when I looked into this some years back, I drew a blank from numerous ink sources. I'm not sure why this would be desirable today except as a way to avoid washing up a press.

              Fritz

              I guess you need an ink like we used on our big (4 page) cylinder press at the weekly where I worked as a youth. I was there a year and we never cleaned the fountain or rollers, just added ink occasionally as needed. It never skinned over. We also used this ink for our proofing jobs. Don't ask me what it was. That was 60 years ago.
              Stan

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, dmm@... wrote:

              > After several months of "lurking," I finally have a question for
              > the list. Can anyone suggest a favorite brand of non-drying
              > proofing ink (black), and can anyone suggest a relatively economical
              > source for the same?
              >
              > In searching online, I found two brands, Harley and Mosstype.
              > I'm not sure how they differ. (I also found Charbonnel black
              > proofing ink, but it was considerably more expensive and seemed
              > directed to the printmaking community.)
              >
              > In looking for a source, I discovered that you could order directly
              > from Harley, but that an $18 bottle cost over $20 to ship. The only
              > other source I found (APR Flexo) had a $100 minimum order.
              > My needs are quite small - I just need a single tube of black
              > proofing ink.
              >
              > I'll actually be proofing from metal type with this, not PP,
              > but I'm asking the question here rather than LETPRESS because
              > the market for proofing inks today seems (from what I can tell)
              > to be in flexography/photopolymer.
              >
              > Thanks for any suggestions.
              >
              > Regards,
              > ===
              > Dr. David M. MacMillan * dmm@... * www.lemur.com & www.CircuitousRoot.com
              >
              > The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
              > - Paul Ehrlich (1854-1915); Aldo Leopold

            • heytrollop
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
                Hi,

                I'm selling, Ink in Tubes. We have a black rubber based ink. It's a 1/4 pound of ink in a tube for 11.50. I'll have to check your zip code to get a definite price for shipping, I'm guess it would be 5 bucks.

                and 10.95 worse case scenario if I ship it in a medium flat rate box.

                Let me know if you're interested. I've only got oil based in stock for immeditate shipping, but I'll be picking up more ink this week from Dave Robison (the ink in tubes guy).

                Best,
                Raven

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, dmm@... wrote:

                > After several months of "lurking," I finally have a question for
                > the list. Can anyone suggest a favorite brand of non-drying
                > proofing ink (black), and can anyone suggest a relatively economical
                > source for the same?
                >
                > In searching online, I found two brands, Harley and Mosstype.
                > I'm not sure how they differ. (I also found Charbonnel black
                > proofing ink, but it was considerably more expensive and seemed
                > directed to the printmaking community.)
                >
                > In looking for a source, I discovered that you could order directly
                > from Harley, but that an $18 bottle cost over $20 to ship. The only
                > other source I found (APR Flexo) had a $100 minimum order.
                > My needs are quite small - I just need a single tube of black
                > proofing ink.
                >
                > I'll actually be proofing from metal type with this, not PP,
                > but I'm asking the question here rather than LETPRESS because
                > the market for proofing inks today seems (from what I can tell)
                > to be in flexography/photopolymer.
                >
                > Thanks for any suggestions.
                >
                > Regards,
                > ===
                > Dr. David M. MacMillan * dmm@... * www.lemur.com & www.CircuitousRoot.com
                >
                > The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
                > - Paul Ehrlich (1854-1915); Aldo Leopold

              • Rick Harden
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
                  Call Southern Ink.  888.898.3330

                  I bet they can help, or point u n the right direction.

[...]

                  =======
                  http://www.pctools.com
                  =======
                • author50401
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
                    David:

                    Daniel Smith produces relief printing inks with no added dryer. I have used these inks, and in a test, found that it did not dry for quite some time. It is available in 1 lb. cans or 1/4 lb tubes. It would be wise to schedule a cleaning every couple days if possible to eliminate incorporation of dust (no matter how clean your shop may be) in the ink which can cause "clumping" of the ink around the dust bunnies.

                    It should stay open for a while on your proof press, but will dry eventually. I have found that rubber-based inks will stay open on the press, but if left for several days, will "tack up", and you will not get as good an image.

                    I had several cans of Vandercook ink at one time, but never used it as I clean the press after every use. I will check my ink storage to see if I still might have some of the original Vandercook ink and if it is any good at this point. I will let you know if I find some.

                    John Henry

                  • CaBert@AOL.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
                      Hi,

                      I understand Gans Inks rubber line is a good ink to use with letterpress. I just got a lb. and will give it a try soon. They also have facilities throughout the country.

                      Bert in Burbank, CA

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
                        I just talked to the Guys (Rick & Charley), and they do carry and mix Letterpress ink.  They are located in Austin, Texas and ship anywhere.  Very low prices, Fast Service, and in most cases SAME DAY SHIPPING !!  Call them at 888-898-3330.
                      • Eric
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "author50401" <JohnH@...> wrote:

                          > I had several cans of Vandercook ink at one time, but never used it as I clean the press after every use. I will check my ink storage to see if I still might have some of the original Vandercook ink and if it is any good at this point. I will let you know if I find some.

                          I have opened a number of cans of different proofing inks (Vandercook made several kinds and there were other brands too) and all were pretty much dried solid, not just skinned. These were all repro inks, maybe intended for use in proof dryers. It makes me wonder if they are rubber base, because normal oil base inks don't dry like that.
                          That kind of ink isn't needed for ordinary proofing. If you are hand-inking on a galley proof press, a slow-drying ink could be brayered from a sealable container to keep the dust out.
                          Eric Holub, SF
                        • Steve Robison
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
                            Try "Ink in Tubes"