Upcoming Workshops - Evanston, Illinois

  • Eileen Madden
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2011
      There are spaces available in the following workshops.  For more information on these, and to see what's coming in April and May
      visit:

      http:// www.evanstonprint.net

      Bookbinding I (just needs one more person to run! )

      with Jamie Thome

      Wednesdays, Mar 2  -  April 27 (no class April 13)

      7-10 pm

      $360.00 (plus 25.00 materials fee)

      In Bookbinding I, we will start with one piece of paper to create a book.  From there, we will move to several kinds of multiple signature blank books, which we will case in hard covers.  Real books!  Made by hand!  In addition, we’ll talk about adhesives, bookcloth, papers, folding, sewing, endsheets, endbands, gutters and all kinds of good stuff that bookbinders know.

      Portable Papermaking

      with Melissa Jay Craig

      Saturday, Mar 5

      10AM - 4PM

      $90.00  (plus $20.00 materials fee)

      This one-day, information-packed workshop is intended for both beginning papermakers and for people who have experience in papermaking, who do not now have ready access to formal papermaking facilities.

      Melissa Jay Craig has been making paper on residencies and in other situations not specially equipped for papermaking for the past eleven years.  She will share her expertise on everything from storing and re-hydrating pulp, to sheet-forming without a vat or press, to building (and adapting) your own low-cost equipment for setting up a home studio, and we’ll make a few sheets, too.  (Maximum 8 students)

      Captured in Resin

      with Jamie Thome

      Saturday, March 19

      10 AM – 4 PM

      $90  (plus $40 materials fee)

      If you love boxes, assemblage, and the artist Joseph Cornell, this one-day workshop is for you.  Join us to create small one of a kind assemblages in found containers, which we will then fill with resin to make them permanent and archival.  You can combine Fun With Collage and Fun With Resin to create your own little Found Objects class series.  Don’t miss it!

      Intro to Digital Letterpress Printing

      with Stacey Stern of Steracle Press

      Thursdays, Mar 24 - May 26

      7PM – 10PM

      $385 (plus $25 materials fee)

      In this ten-week class for beginners, you will learn how to make your very own polymer plates, and print your designs from them.  Stacey will take you from your computer image, to film, to plate, to the press.  You will learn how to operate the equipment, mix inks, register plates, and print.  In the early sessions, Stacey will discuss the traditions of printing, and guide you to the modern adaptations that are possible with photopolymer plates.  There will be time to work on either your own or a group project.

      Maximum of 6 students.

      Introduction to Screen Printing

      with Jessica Taylor

      Tuesdays, MAR 29 - APR 26

      7PM - 10PM

      $220  (plus $20 materials fee)

      In this class students will be introduced to screen printing techniques on fabric or paper.  In the course you will learn how to apply images to screens using a variety of methods, including stencils, photo emulsion, and hand drawing.  You will also learn how to mix inks, and practice printing to develop imagery, as well as color and pattern relationships.  Instruction will culminate in the accomplishment of a chosen project, which can range from t-shirts, lengths of fabric for use in fashion or accessories, fabric to make a variety of household products such as cushions and curtains, or paper projects such as posters or greeting cards.  No previous printing experience is necessary.

      (Maximum 8 students)