Re: TOK photopolymer plates

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 19, 2011
      Kalle

      As far as I know, and I keep a good watch, CTP isn't quite yet there for us studio letterpress folks, and I kind of suspect it will not be. If I am wrong, and I hope I am, I suspect Boxcar Press will be the first to announce its availability.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "KalleP" <kalle@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I saw in passing that Kodak plans to purchase the TOK relief plate
      > devision. News release is on their site at the link below.
      >
      > www.tok.co.jp/pdf/101119_2.pdf
      >
      > Their range of products is also listed on the following page.
      >
      > www.tok-pr.com/printingmaterials/products/letter_press/line_up.html
      >
      > They do a direct Computer To Plate setup that was mentioned on this list previously but I wonder how common the exposure machines are.
      > The micrographs of the developed plates look very precice.
      >
      > Kalle
      > --
      > Kalle Pihlajasaari
      > Idyllic Press, Johannesburg, South Africa

    • i_goonies
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 20, 2011
        Here I've found something more:
        http://www.tok-pr.com/printingmaterials/products/letter_press_ctp/

        However the bigger part of the letterpress printers can't afford a CTP system.

        Fabio

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "bielerpr" <Bieler@...> wrote:

        > Kalle
        >
        > As far as I know, and I keep a good watch, CTP isn't quite yet there for us studio letterpress folks, and I kind of suspect it will not be. If I am wrong, and I hope I am, I suspect Boxcar Press will be the first to announce its availability.
        >
        > Gerald
        > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
        >
        > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "KalleP" <kalle@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > I saw in passing that Kodak plans to purchase the TOK relief plate
        > > devision. News release is on their site at the link below.
        > >
        > > www.tok.co.jp/pdf/101119_2.pdf
        > >
        > > Their range of products is also listed on the following page.
        > >
        > > www.tok-pr.com/printingmaterials/products/letter_press/line_up.html
        > >
        > > They do a direct Computer To Plate setup that was mentioned on this list previously but I wonder how common the exposure machines are.
        > > The micrographs of the developed plates look very precice.
        > >
        > > Kalle
        > > --
        > > Kalle Pihlajasaari
        > > Idyllic Press, Johannesburg, South Africa

      • Eric
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 20, 2011
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "KalleP" <kalle@...> wrote:

          > I saw in passing that Kodak plans to purchase the TOK relief plate
          > devision. News release is on their site at the link below.
          >
          > www.tok.co.jp/pdf/101119_2.pdf
          >
          > Their range of products is also listed on the following page.
          >
          > www.tok-pr.com/printingmaterials/products/letter_press/line_up.html

          TOK makes the Miraclon-Rigilon materials. But that online list doesn't include the Rigilon HX that I use, as well as the Miraclon MS and DS. I think they market the harder HX as a pattern or molding plate.
          --Eric Holub, SF
        • Harold Kyle
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 20, 2011
            There may be a patent issue that prohibits TOK CTP plates in the US. Does anyone know of TOK plates being sold in the US? Other brands, like BASF and Toyobo, are currently on the market, I believe. The plates are more expensive than conventional water wash plates and the equipment is rather costly as well (low six figures). But yeah, we can dream, right?

            Thanks
            Harold

            On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM, i_goonies <neroinferno@...> wrote:

            Here I've found something more:
            http://www.tok-pr.com/printingmaterials/products/letter_press_ctp/

            However the bigger part of the letterpress printers can't afford a CTP system.

            Fabio

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "bielerpr" <Bieler@...> wrote:

            > Kalle
            >
            > As far as I know, and I keep a good watch, CTP isn't quite yet there for us studio letterpress folks, and I kind of suspect it will not be. If I am wrong, and I hope I am, I suspect Boxcar Press will be the first to announce its availability.
            >
            > Gerald
            > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
            >
            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "KalleP" <kalle@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > I saw in passing that Kodak plans to purchase the TOK relief plate
            > > devision. News release is on their site at the link below.
            > >
            > > www.tok.co.jp/pdf/101119_2.pdf
            > >
            > > Their range of products is also listed on the following page.
            > >
            > > www.tok-pr.com/printingmaterials/products/letter_press/line_up.html
            > >
            > > They do a direct Computer To Plate setup that was mentioned on this list previously but I wonder how common the exposure machines are.
            > > The micrographs of the developed plates look very precice.
            > >
            > > Kalle
            > > --
            > > Kalle Pihlajasaari
            > > Idyllic Press, Johannesburg, South Africa

            --
            ---
            Boxcar Press
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 20, 2011
              The plates we use in our shop are Miraclon DS 100. I don't know if it's by TOK brand on or not (I don't know if other brands sell Miraclon or not.) We purchase them from Gene Becker Photopolymer Plates, www.photopolymerplates.com. They also sell Rigilon plates.

              -Claire

              Claire Taylor
              Studio Coordinator
              Book Arts Program
              J. Willard Marriott Library
              University of Utah

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 20, 2011
                Claire:

                Yes I believe Miraclon is made by TOK. Just to clarify, you're not using direct-to-plate digital plates, are you? It's confusing between the "Miraclon DS-D" which is the digital line and the "Miraclon DS" which their conventional steel-backed plate. I don't see digital plates listed on Gene Becker's site...nor on the 11 year old price list from when Boxcar Press ordered from him. ;)

                Thanks
                Harold

              • Mirka
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 21, 2011
                  I have been purchasing my plates from Kim Becker for 4 years now. She is great, and I'd recommend her to anyone. :)

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Claire Taylor <claire.taylor@...> wrote:

                  > The plates we use in our shop are Miraclon DS 100. I don't know if it's by TOK brand on or not (I don't know if other brands sell Miraclon or not.) We purchase them from Gene Becker Photopolymer Plates, www.photopolymerplates.com. They also sell Rigilon plates.
                  >
                  > -Claire
                  >

                  > Claire Taylor
                  > Studio Coordinator
                  > Book Arts Program
                  > J. Willard Marriott Library
                  > University of Utah
                  > www.bookartsprogram.org

                • Rebecca Chamlee
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 22, 2011
                    Do you have the contact information for Kim Becker?
                  • Eric
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 23, 2011
                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Chamlee <rchamlee@...> wrote:

                      > Do you have the contact information for Kim Becker?

                      <http://www.photopolymerplates.com/Photopolymer_Plates_by_Gene_Becker/Home.html>

                      Kim took over from her father Gene, who has been selling photopolymer plates for a long time.
                      --E Holub, SF
                    • Claire Taylor
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
                        We use the steel-back plates. I've near heard of these direct-to-plate digital plates. But I looked them up since you mention them up. Interesting...

                        Yes I believe Miraclon is made by TOK. Just to clarify, you're not using direct-to-plate digital plates, are you? It's confusing between the "Miraclon DS-D" which is the digital line and the "Miraclon DS" which their conventional steel-backed plate. I don't see digital plates listed on Gene Becker's site...nor on the 11 year old price list from when Boxcar Press ordered from him. ;)

                        Thanks
                        Harold

                        On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Claire Taylor <claire.taylor@...<mailto:claire.taylor@...>> wrote:

                        The plates we use in our shop are Miraclon DS 100. I don't know if it's by TOK brand on or not (I don't know if other brands sell Miraclon or not.) We purchase them from Gene Becker Photopolymer Plates, www.photopolymerplates.com<http://www.photopolymerplates.com>. They also sell Rigilon plates.

                        -Claire

                        Claire Taylor
                        Studio Coordinator
                        Book Arts Program
                        J. Willard Marriott Library
                        University of Utah
                        www.bookartsprogram.org<http://www.bookartsprogram.org>

                        www.boxcarpress.com<http://www.boxcarpress.com/>

                        --
                        ---
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
                          Claire

                          I kind of doubt we will be seeing metal-backed digital photopolymer plates in the specific thicknesses and hardnesses required for "traditional" letterpress work. DTP has been around for quite some years now and not even a nibble. Bit of a small pond we are, me thinks.