Re: Die cutting paper coasters with the Heidelberg Windmill?

  • i_goonies
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
      Hello Gerrit,
      thanks for the reply :)

      Okay thanks for the tape tip's explanation :)

      I can't understand how the sheets can be scratched from the platen corner and the platen fender. Perhaps the sheet when is sucked and loaded by the gripper is scratched from the corner? Sorry but I'm just a newbie and I haven't in mind exactly the sheet travel on the Windmill :)

      How do you cover the suckers with felt?!

      I'm located near Rome, Italy :)

      Thanks a lot Gerrit!
      Fabio

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "gerritbaumann" <polychroma@...> wrote:

      > Hi Fabio!
      >
      > Of course the cutting die should be of the same height everywhere, but often times some areas like hole punches etc. need a little more pressure for a clean cut -- in those areas i just stick a little piece of tape directly on the backside of the die underneath those areas, that way you can keep the overall pressure as low as possible to save both the die and the diecutting jacket.
      >
      > As for the felt: I don't have a photo handy to post -- but when printing (or die-cutting) heavy and thick stock, the paper tends to get scratched on the backside by the corner of the platen. I use felt with double-sided tape on the upper left-side (opposite of the gripper) corner of the platen and platen fender to protect the sheet from scratching over the corner of the platen. I will post a photo, the next time I use this setup. Often times it is also useful to cover up some of the suckers with felt, to keep them from scratching the surface of the paper, when printing on very heavy stock. (It is also important to use good quality rubber suckers in a light color, as standard black rubber suckers can leave slight marks on the stock)
      >
      > As a I just printed literally a ton of 900g/sm / 1,5mm 100% cotton stock I am kind of immersed in the topic of printing heavy stock ;-)
      >
      > Hope this help -- by the way, where are you located, Fabio?
      >
      > Greetings from Hamburg, Germany,
      >
      > Gerrit.

    • Katey Lady
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 8, 2011
        Yet more (rather boring) Heidelberg videos.

        Printing coasters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjOEFEqtPlo

        Die cutting coasters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwSLF44VhA

        Interestingly the coaster stock doesn't make the 'pop' noise like other sheets do when die cut.  I usually run "nickel" gages on the die cutting/scoring press, but when I cut coasters I have to switch to the "brass" gages because there is not enough space between the pin and the platen with the nickel ones. (Also, our "nickel" gages are made out of brass.... not sure whats up with that!)

        Also, in regards to scuffing: something else that works well is book binders cloth tape to cover the space between the platen and the fender. I have not used felt before, but you can get sheets of felt with adhesive on the back for craft projects that would work well.

        And finally, in regards to thickness of stock- the coaster stock I'm running in the video is .05 inches/1.27 mm thick. I have run thicker coaster stock which is .075 inches/ 1.9 mm thick.  I'm fairly confident that that is the thickest thing I have put through a press.

        -Katey
      • i_goonies
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 9, 2011
          Hello Katey!
          thanks for the videos and for the measures in mm. It's always a pleasure to see the Windmill and its "gospel".

          Just another thing: why did you use the plastic yellow foot-base and not the rubber suckers? Won't the rubber suckers better instead of the foot-base?

          Thanks!
          Fabio