Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Die cutting paper coasters with the Heidelberg Windmill?

    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 2, 2011
      On 2 Jan 2011, at 2:02 PM, i_goonies wrote:

      > Dear Peter,
      > your surname in Latin means "son of God"!

      Realmente "brother", come "fratello" ;-)

      > Thanks for the reply.
      >
      > Just some questions:
      > - have you direct experience with it?

      See Slowprint.com for some examples!

      > - has anyone got direct experience to use a Windmill for die cut and printing daily? Won't be damage the machine? The print will be always perfect?

      No problem. It's designed for this purpose.
      Obviously though, you want to lock-out the rollers if your press is equipped for this.
      Mine are not, so I keep some duct-tape (thick silvery plastic tape) about three layers thick cut into strips which I stick to the roller bearers, so I don't have to change my roller settings. The roller trucks ride up on the tape, and keep the rollers from hitting the die and getting chopped up!

      > - when I die cut, should I remove the paper sheets on the tympan, and use just the steel die-jacket?

      Correct, although I have found it helpful to sometimes add small bits of tissue makeready under the die-jacket if there are some areas which are not cutting and others that are. On the Windmill, the gripper side of the tympan/bed seems to wear over the decades.
      I put a .005" strip of mylar behind the chase along the right edge of my aluminum base when printing from photopolymer. It ends up saving all kinds of time with makeready. I did this based on my own observation for some years before reading (maybe at briarpress.com) that it's accepted and common practice with these presses.
      I suppose there's some way of correcting for this deep in the mechanics of the press, perhaps...

      > If yes, how much is max thickness of the paper I can cut?

      I have had no problem at all with Crane 600gsm which is about .040" or about 1mm.
      The thickness is not as much concern as the hardness of the stock (assuming it will feed, of course)

      I had a customer request cards printed on 4-ply Rising Museum Board which is substantially thicker still, so I just took all the makeready off the press and printed against the bare tympan.

      ciao!

      pf

      > THANKS!
      > Fabio
      >
      > ps. Tanti Auguri you too!
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> No problem at all on the windmill
      >> Just be sure to use the hardened steel die-jacket. Back off the impression before hitting the first time, bring it up slowly.
      >> Only hit as much as needed...
      >>
      >> Tante Auguri!
      >> Happy new year all!

      >> Slowprint.com / Semiotx.com
      >> google voice 1 563 223 8231
      >> peterf@...
      >>
      >> From iPhone plz excuse brevity!
      >>
      >> On Jan 2, 2011, at 1:59 AM, i_goonies <neroinferno@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> Hello,
      >>> have you ever tried to die cut paper coasters of 1.2-1,4 mm of thickness on a Heidelberg Windmill?
      >>>
      >>> Will the press suffer generally and/or on long jobs?
      >>>
      >>> Thank you all :)
      >>> Fabio

    • Katey Lady
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 2, 2011
        Hi Fabio,

        Coaster board makes a lot of noise but it prints and diecuts fine on the Windmill. A dull die is what will cause you trouble- so don't be cheap about replacing your dies and die jackets. Also be extra vigilant about misfeeds and 'doubles.'

        If you set the impression to JUST cut through the stock you may find it does not cut through after the first 2 or 3 impressions- don't worry, it's just the die settling in the chase. A quarter turn of impression will usually get it cutting through the rest of the run just fine.

        Happy New Year to you too, and all the list!

        -Katey

        ps: Did you ever get your powder spray fixed up?
      • erik spiekermann
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 2, 2011
          On 02.01.2011, at 15:02, i_goonies wrote:

          > your surname in Latin means "son of God"!
          i thought it meant Brother? Frater=brother, pater=father.

        • i_goonies
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
            Hello Peter,
            oh yes, sorry BROTHER not SON!

            > > - have you direct experience with it?
            >
            > See Slowprint.com for some examples!

            Am I wrong or don't you print with a Windmill?

            > > - has anyone got direct experience to use a Windmill for die cut and printing daily? Won't be damage the machine? The print will be always perfect?
            >
            > No problem. It's designed for this purpose.
            > Obviously though, you want to lock-out the rollers if your press is equipped for this.
            > Mine are not, so I keep some duct-tape (thick silvery plastic tape) about three layers thick cut into strips which I stick to the roller bearers, so I don't have to change my roller settings. The roller trucks ride up on the tape, and keep the rollers from hitting the die and getting chopped up!

            I have a mechanism to lift the ink rollers from the main metal cylinder. Perhaps my Windmill is too old for this? Was build in the 1956. Can't I remove the ink rollers?! It's easier. I have also two mechanisms on the sides of the ink rollers binaries to lift the ink rollers from the photopolymer/lead types, but I believe this shouldn't be used regulary.

            > > - when I die cut, should I remove the paper sheets on the tympan, and use just the steel die-jacket?
            >
            > Correct, although I have found it helpful to sometimes add small bits of tissue makeready under the die-jacket if there are some areas which are not cutting and others that are. On the Windmill, the gripper side of the tympan/bed seems to wear over the decades.

            Do you mean the right side, from the front of the press?

            > I put a .005" strip of mylar behind the chase along the right edge of my aluminum base when printing from photopolymer. It ends up saving all kinds of time with makeready. I did this based on my own observation for some years before reading (maybe at briarpress.com) that it's accepted and common practice with these presses.
            > I suppose there's some way of correcting for this deep in the mechanics of the press, perhaps...

            I haven't understood this..

            > > If yes, how much is max thickness of the paper I can cut?
            >

            > I have had no problem at all with Crane 600gsm which is about .040" or about 1mm.
            > The thickness is not as much concern as the hardness of the stock (assuming it will feed, of course)
            >
            > I had a customer request cards printed on 4-ply Rising Museum Board which is substantially thicker still, so I just took all the makeready off the press and printed against the bare tympan.

            4-ply = mm? My question was basically to understand how much is the thickness limit of the Windmill, to do not stress my press!

            Ciao :) and Thanks!
            Fabio

            > ciao!
            >
            > pf
            >

            > > THANKS!
            > > Fabio
            > >
            > > ps. Tanti Auguri you too!
            > >

            > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> No problem at all on the windmill
            > >> Just be sure to use the hardened steel die-jacket. Back off the impression before hitting the first time, bring it up slowly.
            > >> Only hit as much as needed...
            > >>
            > >> Tante Auguri!
            > >> Happy new year all!

            > >> Slowprint.com / Semiotx.com
            > >> google voice 1 563 223 8231
            > >> peterf@
            > >>
            > >> From iPhone plz excuse brevity!

          • i_goonies
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
              Hi Katey,
              thanks for the precious tip!

              The powder spray mechanism is still out of work. My dad needs to unscrew the metal screw into the glass..rust and time have locked it.

              In truth I haven't never turned up my Windmill from when I've bought it (April 2010), because I wasn't able find a solution for the electric power. Now I've removed the engine, I believe I'll change it with a 220v similar, but a bit more powerful (2 HP instead of 1.5 HP).

              In these days I've removed all the inking block to clean the old ink under it, but I've ruined one copper pipe of the main lubrication system..my saint dad fixed it today..so next step is to find new gaskets for the main lubrication sytem and change the engine.

              Thanks however for asking :)
              Fabio

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
                > Coaster board makes a lot of noise but it prints and diecuts fine on the Windmill.

                Just another thing: noise, in which sense?!

                Thanks! :)
                Fabio
              • Katey Lady
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Hi Fabio-

                  Its noisy because the coaster paper is much less flexible than regular stock, so it 'twacks' against the platen fender as it feeds. When the die cuts through the paper it makes a 'pop' noise, which is a little scary at first but normal. There's a little noise too when the paper drops onto the delivery table, so it's like "twack, pop, drop, thwack, pop, drop..."

                  I meant to measure the thickness of the Rising 4Ply and the coaster board I use, but forgot. Have you noticed the 'packing thickness gage' on the delivery table side guide? If you can stick the coaster board or whatever in the slot, its fine to put through the press. Always start off with the impression turned almost to 0, to be safe. I've printed on some crazy thick things, including Stayflat chipboard envelopes, which have areas with 4 layers of chipboard. And I've printed on Rising 8Ply too. Two problems you run into with very thick, soft stock is: 1) The grippers make indentations in the paper, and 2) The feed table NEVER comes up fast enough and you have to stand there and kick it all afternoon.

                  If no one else posts any MM measurements I'll dig out my micrometer tomorrow at work and measure some things. I also may be reprinting some coasters for Etsy soon, I'll bring in my camera and video it and put it on my blog.

                  Be well,

                  -Katey
                   http://www.confectionpress.com
                • i_goonies
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                    Hello Katey :)
                    thanks for the reply!

                    I can't find any translation for the work twacks, sorry!..Do you mean "slam"?

                    My 'packing thickness gage' label is in Deutch, but I can read 1mm..the point is all the coasters are 1.2 and 1.4mm in thickness, so how is possible people print something that exceeds the max thickness accepted by the press?

                    Thanks for all the tips, the time and the explanations. I appreciate!

                    About the video tutorial, if you can it's always a pleasure for the community.

                    have a nice day,

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                      On 05.01.2011, at 05:15, i_goonies wrote:

                      > My 'packing thickness gage' label is in Deutch
                      if anybody ever needs a translation from German (i.e. Deutsch) into English, let me know. German is my native language and i learnt to print on a Heidelberg Zylinder, way back when.

                      | prof. dr.h. erik spiekermann
                      | www.spiekermann.com

                      | T +1.415.350 3314
                      | 368 Vallejo Street
                      | San Francisco, CA 94133
                    • i_goonies
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                        Great! I'll take pics of the labels.

                        Thanks Prof. Erik!
                        Fabio

                        ps. if you read the other yahoo letterpress group there is a topic about free dies in San Francisco:

                        "Happy 2011 to everyone!

                        We are clearing several drawers of dies from our shop. These dies are free to anyone who is willing to come pick them up from us (we're located in the Mission district of San Francisco).

                        There are many different die shapes and sizes to choose from, including envelopes, cards and tags with punches.

                        For more info, please send an email offlist to info@....

                        Thanks!

                        Lars.
                        Logos Graphics"

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, erik spiekermann <erik@...> wrote:

                        > On 05.01.2011, at 05:15, i_goonies wrote:
                        >
                        > > My 'packing thickness gage' label is in Deutch
                        > if anybody ever needs a translation from German (i.e. Deutsch) into English, let me know. German is my native language and i learnt to print on a Heidelberg Zylinder, way back when.

                        > | prof. dr.h. erik spiekermann
                        > | www.spiekermann.com
                        >
                        > | T +1.415.350 3314
                        > | 368 Vallejo Street
                        > | San Francisco, CA 94133

                      • gerritbaumann
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                          Hi Fabio,

                          i just recently printed on super-duper-thick 900g/sm cotton stock which is 1,5mm in thickness (almost 1000 kg of it, too, 2 pallets in total) and that printed just fine -- i used almost no packing, the most difficult part is to get the sheets through the machine without any scratches -- i found that felt placed in different places (for example on the platen fender) works pretty well. You will also need rubber suckers to lift heavier stock off the feed table.

                          As to die-cutting: On your press you cannot lock-out the rollers (that was only introduced in the late 60s or early 70s, I think), just take them out, otherwise they will get cut. I always work like this when die-cutting: start with very low impression, and increase until the first die-lines cut through the paper, than mark the places where your die doesn't properly cut the paper and stick pieces of scotch-tape to the back side of the die in those places. here is a video of my windmill die-cutting business cards in shape of hang-tags, notice the pling-sound, noted earlier. (although i must say, that all dies i used sound differently, depending on shape and size)

                          cheers from hamburg, germany,

                          Gerrit.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                            ah, here is the link to the aforementioned video on vimeo:

                            http://vimeo.com/14498902

                            gerrit.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                              Dear Gerrit,
                              thanks for the reply and for the tips.

                              I can't understand just 2 things:

                              - the tape works like a little thickness, necessary for the die where the die-height isn't enough?

                              - about felt, where do you exactly apply it? and what are the parts of the sheets that are scratched by the Windmill?

                              Thanks, and Auguri! :)
                              Fabio

                              ps. very nice video, I like the Windmill when print/die-cut slow.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                                Thumbs up indeed ;-)
                                Nice work Gerrit!

                                Cheers

                                On 5 Jan 2011, at 4:48 PM, gerritbaumann wrote:

                                > ah, here is the link to the aforementioned video on vimeo:
                                >
                                > http://vimeo.com/14498902
                                >
                                > gerrit.
                              • gerritbaumann
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
                                  Hi Fabio!

                                  Of course the cutting die should be of the same height everywhere, but often times some areas like hole punches etc. need a little more pressure for a clean cut -- in those areas i just stick a little piece of tape directly on the backside of the die underneath those areas, that way you can keep the overall pressure as low as possible to save both the die and the diecutting jacket.

                                  As for the felt: I don't have a photo handy to post -- but when printing (or die-cutting) heavy and thick stock, the paper tends to get scratched on the backside by the corner of the platen. I use felt with double-sided tape on the upper left-side (opposite of the gripper) corner of the platen and platen fender to protect the sheet from scratching over the corner of the platen. I will post a photo, the next time I use this setup. Often times it is also useful to cover up some of the suckers with felt, to keep them from scratching the surface of the paper, when printing on very heavy stock. (It is also important to use good quality rubber suckers in a light color, as standard black rubber suckers can leave slight marks on the stock)

                                  As a I just printed literally a ton of 900g/sm / 1,5mm 100% cotton stock I am kind of immersed in the topic of printing heavy stock ;-)

                                  Hope this help -- by the way, where are you located, Fabio?

                                  Greetings from Hamburg, Germany,

                                  Gerrit.
                                • i_goonies
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
                                    Hello Gerrit,
                                    thanks for the reply :)

                                    Okay thanks for the tape tip's explanation :)

                                    I can't understand how the sheets can be scratched from the platen corner and the platen fender. Perhaps the sheet when is sucked and loaded by the gripper is scratched from the corner? Sorry but I'm just a newbie and I haven't in mind exactly the sheet travel on the Windmill :)

                                    How do you cover the suckers with felt?!

                                    I'm located near Rome, Italy :)

                                    Thanks a lot Gerrit!
                                    Fabio

                                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "gerritbaumann" <polychroma@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Fabio!
                                    >
                                    > Of course the cutting die should be of the same height everywhere, but often times some areas like hole punches etc. need a little more pressure for a clean cut -- in those areas i just stick a little piece of tape directly on the backside of the die underneath those areas, that way you can keep the overall pressure as low as possible to save both the die and the diecutting jacket.
                                    >
                                    > As for the felt: I don't have a photo handy to post -- but when printing (or die-cutting) heavy and thick stock, the paper tends to get scratched on the backside by the corner of the platen. I use felt with double-sided tape on the upper left-side (opposite of the gripper) corner of the platen and platen fender to protect the sheet from scratching over the corner of the platen. I will post a photo, the next time I use this setup. Often times it is also useful to cover up some of the suckers with felt, to keep them from scratching the surface of the paper, when printing on very heavy stock. (It is also important to use good quality rubber suckers in a light color, as standard black rubber suckers can leave slight marks on the stock)
                                    >
                                    > As a I just printed literally a ton of 900g/sm / 1,5mm 100% cotton stock I am kind of immersed in the topic of printing heavy stock ;-)
                                    >
                                    > Hope this help -- by the way, where are you located, Fabio?
                                    >
                                    > Greetings from Hamburg, Germany,
                                    >
                                    > Gerrit.

                                  • Katey Lady
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 8, 2011
                                      Yet more (rather boring) Heidelberg videos.

                                      Printing coasters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjOEFEqtPlo

                                      Die cutting coasters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwSLF44VhA

                                      Interestingly the coaster stock doesn't make the 'pop' noise like other sheets do when die cut.  I usually run "nickel" gages on the die cutting/scoring press, but when I cut coasters I have to switch to the "brass" gages because there is not enough space between the pin and the platen with the nickel ones. (Also, our "nickel" gages are made out of brass.... not sure whats up with that!)

                                      Also, in regards to scuffing: something else that works well is book binders cloth tape to cover the space between the platen and the fender. I have not used felt before, but you can get sheets of felt with adhesive on the back for craft projects that would work well.

                                      And finally, in regards to thickness of stock- the coaster stock I'm running in the video is .05 inches/1.27 mm thick. I have run thicker coaster stock which is .075 inches/ 1.9 mm thick.  I'm fairly confident that that is the thickest thing I have put through a press.

                                      -Katey
                                    • i_goonies
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 9, 2011
                                        Hello Katey!
                                        thanks for the videos and for the measures in mm. It's always a pleasure to see the Windmill and its "gospel".

                                        Just another thing: why did you use the plastic yellow foot-base and not the rubber suckers? Won't the rubber suckers better instead of the foot-base?