Re: [PPLetterpress] Making negatives

  • Ed Inman
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7 11:47 AM
      David wrote:
> [...]
      density isn't enough to produce true blacks on transparencies.<<<<<<

      I don't know if this is necessarily true. Although I still use traditional
      Kodalith type film and a process camera to shoot line art, I have had good
      luck burning halftone photopolymer plates directly from negatives produced
      by my laser printer. I just use the normal 3M type transparency film
      available at most office supply stores.

      However, if the density is what you are worried about, there is still a way
      to make a good, traditional film negative (without a camera) in your
      bathroom or closet. All you need is a contact printing frame (or weighted
      glass on foam rubber--same as you use to burn the plates), a light source,
      some developing trays, a box of lith film, some A&B type lith developer,
      stop bath, and fixer. The entire setup should cost less than $100.

      First print your artwork as a positive onto this same 3M type film (or any
      light weight, translucent paper) in a laser printer. (If you don't have a
      laser printer, you can use a normal Xerox copier although the image may not
      be as good.).

      Then contact print this positive onto traditional lith film and develop
      normally.

      For the sharpest possible image, print your original mirror image, and print
      face down with the film emulsion facing up.

      The polymer plate should, of course, be burned as a mirror image with the
      film emulsion facing down against the plate.

      I made dozens of plates this way with good success, but then I got an old
      Argyle process camera for free that was being thrown out, and it works as
      good as new. That is always an option too these days if you have the room.
      Cameras, like linotypes, can be had for almost nothing if you can find
      somewhere to put them.

      Ed

      Ed
    • joelsherman5000
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
        Hello,

        This is Joel Sherman, the print lab tech at UCSB, working with Harry
        Reese. Some of you may be interested in the process we've been using
        here for making our own negatives. Go to:

        http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/staff/sherman/printlab/pages/main.html

        then click on:

        How to make negatives for photopolymer plates

        I've been refining this process from a data sheet I got from
        Anderson&Vreeland.
        Daylight contact film is about $1.50 per 10x12 sheet and comes in
        packs of 100. Transparency overlay is about $.40 per sheet. AB lith
        developer is about $20.00 for a one gallon set from freestylephoto and
        will develop many sheets.

        Joel
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
          Joel

          Thanks for posting this. Harry had sent me something previously, but
          mentioned you would be finishing up a more precise description. Bit
          surprised about A&V's contribution. Does this work well for text? or
          are you mainly concentrating on images?

          Is the Laser Buddy a crucial step? or would a secondary chemical bath
          help improve the opacity? I remember that Xante recommended a second
          bath to improve the opacity with their bath unit.

          Gerald

          > This is Joel Sherman, the print lab tech at UCSB, working with Harry
          > Reese. Some of you may be interested in the process we've been using
          > here for making our own negatives. Go to:
          >
          > http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/staff/sherman/printlab/pages/main.html
          >
          > then click on:
          >
          > How to make negatives for photopolymer plates
          >
          > I've been refining this process from a data sheet I got from
          > Anderson&Vreeland.
          > Daylight contact film is about $1.50 per 10x12 sheet and comes in
          > packs of 100. Transparency overlay is about $.40 per sheet. AB lith
          > developer is about $20.00 for a one gallon set from freestylephoto and
          > will develop many sheets.
          >
          > Joel
        • Joel D. Sherman
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 11, 2003
            Hi Gerald,

            This process seems to work pretty well for text. I can't say they match the
            quality of negatives made on an imagesetter. The process is still being
            developed, so more tests should be made.

            A rather heavy coat of Laser Buddy increases the density of the toner
            enough to substantially reduce black speckling in clear parts of the
            negative caused by light leaking through the toner. The difference is
            noticeable if you have solid areas in your image. I think that minimizing
            the exposure time also helps reduce the amount of light that leaks through
            the toner.

            Joel

            --On Sunday, March 09, 2003 7:02 AM +0000 Gerald Lange
            <bieler@...> wrote:

            > Joel
            >
            > Thanks for posting this. Harry had sent me something previously, but
            > mentioned you would be finishing up a more precise description. Bit
            > surprised about A&V's contribution. Does this work well for text? or
            > are you mainly concentrating on images?
            >
            > Is the Laser Buddy a crucial step? or would a secondary chemical bath
            > help improve the opacity? I remember that Xante recommended a second
            > bath to improve the opacity with their bath unit.
            >
            > Gerald
            >

            >> This is Joel Sherman, the print lab tech at UCSB, working with Harry
            >> Reese. Some of you may be interested in the process we've been using
            >> here for making our own negatives. Go to:
            >>
            >> http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/staff/sherman/printlab/pages/main.html
            >>
            >> then click on:
            >>
            >> How to make negatives for photopolymer plates
            >>
            >> I've been refining this process from a data sheet I got from
            >> Anderson&Vreeland.
            >> Daylight contact film is about $1.50 per 10x12 sheet and comes in
            >> packs of 100. Transparency overlay is about $.40 per sheet. AB lith
            >> developer is about $20.00 for a one gallon set from freestylephoto and
            >> will develop many sheets.
            >>
            >> Joel
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > ? Encountering problems? contact:
            > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
            > ? To unsubscribe:

          • Joel D. Sherman
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 31, 2004
              Hello Gerald,

              My name is Joel Sherman, and I work at UCSB. You may remember the
              information I posted a while back about homemade negatives.

              I am nearing completion of rebuilding an sp15 which was donated to us
              recently. I plan to follow the instructions you posted for adjusting the
              cylinder carriage and am looking for 36pt steel rule and .001 tissue paper.
              I work with Harry Reese, who told me you are selling some things, and may
              have these items. I checked your ebay listings and didn't see anything.

              If you have either of these, please let me know what you want to sell them
              for.

              Thanks,

              Joel Sherman

              <bieler@...> wrote:

              > Joel
              >
              > Thanks for posting this. Harry had sent me something previously, but
              > mentioned you would be finishing up a more precise description. Bit
              > surprised about A&V's contribution. Does this work well for text? or
              > are you mainly concentrating on images?
              >
              > Is the Laser Buddy a crucial step? or would a secondary chemical bath
              > help improve the opacity? I remember that Xante recommended a second
              > bath to improve the opacity with their bath unit.
              >
              > Gerald
              >

              >> This is Joel Sherman, the print lab tech at UCSB, working with Harry
              >> Reese. Some of you may be interested in the process we've been using
              >> here for making our own negatives. Go to:
              >>
              >> http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/staff/sherman/printlab/pages/main.html
              >>
              >> then click on:
              >>
              >> How to make negatives for photopolymer plates
              >>
              >> I've been refining this process from a data sheet I got from
              >> Anderson&Vreeland.
              >> Daylight contact film is about $1.50 per 10x12 sheet and comes in
              >> packs of 100. Transparency overlay is about $.40 per sheet. AB lith
              >> developer is about $20.00 for a one gallon set from freestylephoto and
              >> will develop many sheets.
              >>
              >> Joel
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > [Image: 300x250_111_1.gif] [Image: "width=1 height=1 src="]
              > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              > ? Encountering problems? contact:
              > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
              > ? To unsubscribe:

              Joel Sherman
              (805)893-3367
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 31, 2004
                Joel

                I was just checking on full face steel rule and it isn't made wider than
                4 pts. You can get brass barweld (full face) rule from Caslon Limited
                but it will literally cost you an arm and a leg (I've been toying with
                the idea of an order for some 18-pt). You might try to find some new
                36pt full face lead rule and just cut that to fit the press (about 17
                inches on a SP-15).

                Tissue can be picked up most any place. New York Central Supply sells a
                pretty good tissue. But these days I use .001 acetate for this. You can
                usually get this at a graphic art supply store, if not, .001 tracing
                paper will do.

                I have some ink test strip steel bars at .918 but they are 3/4 of an
                inch wide and 19-3/4 inches long. We used these on a SP-20 for testing
                and as roller supports. You'd have to chop off some three inches and
                this is some very hard steel.

                Gerald