Upcoming January Classes - Evanston, Illinois

  • Eileen Madden
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2010
      We have a few seats remaining in the classes listed below.  More information on this, and other book and print making workshops at:

      Letterpress II
      with Stacey Stern of Steracle Press

      10 weeks
      Thursdays, January 6 - March 10
      7PM -10PM

      $385 (Plus $25 material fee)

      Expand your skills from Letterpress I and learn the artistic possibilities of Letterpress.  Students will be taught how to do tight registration, printing from wood and lead type, using wood and linoleum cuts, exact Pantone matching, blind embossing, kiss impressions, pressure printing, monoprinting with a brayer, and more! The class will end with a (friendly) group critique to help you see how far you have come.

      Limit 6 students

      Letterpress I

      10 weeks
      Sundays,  January 9 – March 13
      2PM - 5PM

      $385 (plus $25 materials fee)

      In Letterpress I you will begin to explore all that lettepress has to offer.  We will cover the basics needed to work with both type and photopolymer, and will leave you with a solid foundation in letterpress printing.  Letterpress I does work primarily with photopolymer - a material and process that allows you to take your computer designed image, and create letterpress magic.  You will participate in a group project, but will also likely have time for work of your own.

      Limit 6 participants.

      Introduction to Screen Printing
      with Jessica Taylor

      Five weeks
      Sundays,  Jan 9 -  Feb 6
      3 PM - 6PM

      $220  (plus $20 materials fee)

      In this class students will be introduced to screen printing techniques on fabric or paper.  In the course you will learn how to apply images to screens using a variety of methods, including stencils, photo emulsion, and hand drawing.  You will also learn how to mix inks, and practice printing to develop imagery, as well as color and pattern relationships.  Instruction will culminate in the accomplishment of a chosen project, which can range from t-shirts, lengths of fabric for use in fashion or accessories, fabric to make a variety of household products such as cushions and curtains, or paper projects such as posters or greeting cards.  No previous printing experience is necessary. (Maximum 8 students)

      Bookbinding I
      with Jamie Thome

      Eight weeks
      Wedsnesdays, Jan 26  -  Mar 16
      7-10 pm

      $360.00 (plus 25.00 materials fee)

      In Bookbinding I, we will start with one piece of paper to create a book.  From there, we will move to several kinds of multiple signature blank books, which we will case in hard covers.  Real books!  Made by hand!  In addition, we’ll talk about adhesives, bookcloth, papers, folding, sewing, endsheets, endbands, gutters and all kinds of good stuff that bookbinders know.

      Contact eileen@... to join us.

      Thanks.