Re: New Wood Type from virginwoodtype.com

  • Fenway
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2010
      Hi Bill,
      Congratulations on your new site! This is excellent and inspiring, I wish you luck. I'm going to forward it to all the type designers here.

      Bill Anderson
      Monotype Imaging and Fonts.com

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Bill Jones <billjones@...> wrote:

      > Hi Everyone
      >
      > I have just released my web site (http://www.virginwoodtype.com) and I invite your comments, suggestions and hopefully orders.
      >
      > I have started a new business supplying wood type to letterpress printers and wood type collectors. This is new hand made type using historical patterns. Right now I am offering 5 typefaces and am adding more faces every week or so.
      >
      > In late October I acquired most of the production capacity of the American Wood Type Manufacturing Company which stopped making type in 2001. It has been a busy few months.
      >
      > Bill

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2010
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Bill Jones <billjones@...> wrote:

        > In late October I acquired most of the production capacity of the American Wood Type Manufacturing Company which stopped making type in 2001. It has been a busy few months.

        Bill, this is good news. I have been a bit dubious about all the attempts to make wood type using digital/CNC technology. But in addition to new fonts of wood type, you have the potential of making sorts for fonts of wood type already in existance but lacking specific characters. That would be a valuable service.
        I always had the impression that AWT had the potential of copying almost anything Hamilton offered. Is that really the case? If all the AWT patterns survived it would be a massive collection.
        Eric Holub, SF