Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: C&P ink disk not rotating

  • TJ Strandberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2010
      Thanks Stan and Jason. The catch doesn't quite make it to the teeth, it falls short about 1/4". I'll see if Jason's recommendation does the trick.

      TJ

      On Dec 4, 2010, at 1:20 PM, okintertype wrote:

      Another possibility is the teeth underneath the plate have worn off which lets the catch pop over. On my 8 x 12 C & P the teeth did not appear to be that worn, but after grinding most of them I have eliminated the problem. Also if there is any excess friction in the disk turning that will cause the catch to pop out.

      Stan

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "jasonmacdallas" <jrmdesign@...> wrote:

      > I had this problem on my 12x18...there is a bearing/spring mechanism that turns and sometimes the spring can pop out which causes the disk not to turn properly. You'll have to undo the casing (it's hidden underneath there and they are hard to get both of them in, I'm currently only using one of each and it seems to be fine) and it's located up by the ink disk, where two of the joints attach.
      >
      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "tjstrandberg" <tjstrandberg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I'm having problems with my ink disc on my C&P 8x10 not rotating. After it rotates clockwise fully it slides slightly counterclockwise a bit (maybe 1/4-1/2"), which results in the lever underneath not catching. I've had this problem from time to time, but before it would happen a couple times and correct itself, but now it is doing this every time. How do I fix this?
      > >
      > > Also, I'm looking for resources on registering on a Vandercook 4.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > >
      > > TJ
      > > INK&IRON

    • Lance Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2010
        First of all, it's a C&P Craftsman, not a "Mastercraft".  No such model of a C&P was ever made as a "Mastercraft".

        Second, the ink disk drive mechanism on a Craftsman was a totally new redesign, and was not used on the OS or NS presses, except maybe in the later years (1950+) on the larger models.  Definitely not used on the 8x12.

        As for the 8x12 (not an 8x10, no such size made) ink disk rotating system, the biggest issue is wear on the teeth on the back of the disk and also on the ratcheting pawl.  Make sure these are coming together solidly and they can not slip backwards.  There should be a good "clunk, clunk, clunk" sound as the press is running and the ratchet pawl retracts around the disk after the disk makes it's rotation.  If you are not getting this noise, then you need to thoroughly lubricate the pivot point of the ratchet pawl, as the only thing that keeps it tight against the ink disk is the weight of the counter-balance on the ratchet pawl.

        Between worn teeth and stiffness in the motion of the ratchet pawl, you can get the problems mentioned.  One or the other of these things alone can cause the problem, or a combination of both....

        The 10x15 and 12x18 Craftsman series of presses use the spring and rod slip clutch that Robin mentions.  This is also what I think Jason was trying to describe, as I don't know of any other spring mechanisms on the ink disk rotation systems on any of the presses....  I have been running these type of presses for 30+ years, presses we have owned since the 1930's....

        - Lance Williams
        Williams Stationery Co.
        Camden, New York
        APA #785

        On 12/4/2010 5:05 PM, Robin Heyeck wrote:
        Had the same problem fifteen or twenty years ago with my C&P 12x18 Mastercraft. Old time pressman Arnie Olds advised me to thoroughly clean all oil from the two tumblers in the round housing and then to refrain from oiling that part...ever. It worked and has given me no problem since.

        Robin Heyeck

      • Gary
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2010
          I had an issue with my 8x12 NS C&P where the disk was a bit *too* easy to turn. The resistance of the pawl against the teeth of the disc was enough to pendulum the disc, the disc would rotate back with the pawl as it tried to slide up the slope of each ratchet tooth. So I simply wiped off the excess oil, that it rotated, but less freely. Now it has enough resistance to stay put while the pawl can do it's job! I don't "never" lube it! I just give it a drop. Enough to move freely, but not so freely that the action of the pawl drags it backward. I also remove the disc from time to time to clean it out, in that there is nothing that prevents grit or just accumulated dust to be dragged down into the receptacle. It's an easy bit of maintenance.

          -g.