Re: Washing out plates by hand

  • Bryce Erickson
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 15, 2010
      "filled a 9x12 photo tray with brushes, and made a plate carrier out of sheet aluminum, handles, and sheet magnet. Then I use circular and figure-eight motions alternately, and the results are a lot more consistant than when I was moving the brush."

      Eric and group,
      I am doing something similar.  I bought two of Boxcar's brushes and a small sheet of magnetic vinyl (fridge magnet stuff).  Used a waterproof adhesive to attach the vinyl to the brush handles and to the bottom of a darkroom tray.  Side-by-side, the two brushes provide about 7 by 7 inch area.  Held in place by the mag. vinyl, they seem to resist the shear pressure and stay put.  Using all 10 fingers to hold and apply even pressure to the back of the plate, I go up-and-down, side-to-side and circular.  Then I turn the plate orientation 90 degrees and repeat the brushing.  The plate is easy to pull out of the tray to check progress.

      Bryce Erickson
      Saskatoon SK Canada