Re: [PPLetterpress] Polimero A5 platemaker

  • keegan onefoot
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 15, 2010
      Have you replaced the brush?

      On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM, ductormanpaperboy <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

      Hello everyone

      My plate maker brushes have seen better days and I am looking for somewhere I that I could send them to get refurbished. It is an A5 Polimero and it suits my needs perfectly. I would hate to start outsourcing but may have no choice soon. I am processing mainly 94 FL plates and have my exposure and washout times set up great. But sometimes pieces are not getting washed out between the letters, and increased washouts will just kill detail. My film is great and I use a reliable service bureau.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Cheers
      Ian

      --
      Onefootinfront
      17 SE 3rd Ave. Suite #109

      ////////////////////////////
      keeganmeegan.com
      flickr.com/keeganmeegan/

    • Tim Benas
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2010
        Try Tanis Brush Company. tanisinc.com

        To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2010
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ductormanpaperboy" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

          > My plate maker brushes have seen better days and I am looking for somewhere I that I could send them to get refurbished. It is an A5 Polimero

          If the bristles are coming out, then new brushes are needed. But if the bristles are there but getting hard, you may be able to revive them. Soaking in vinegar may help; then use a brush-cleaning tool to break apart the clots. The tool is for cleaning paint brushes, and is simply some pointed pins set in a wooden handle, got mine at an Ace hardware store. Combing through the tufts separates the clumped bristles and dislodges bits of photopolymer.
          On the other hand, a whole new brush will be a huge improvement on your processing, and A5 shouldn't be that costly.
          --Eric Holub, SF
        • Iron Horse Graphics, Ltd.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 16, 2010
            This is an easy one. Contact the Braun Brush Co. of Albertson, LI, NY. They can conveniently be found at http://www.brush.com
            I have used them numerous times for custom brushes for my Heidelberg Offset presses and they have done a great job. Affordably. You send them the part and tell them what length of brush you need and that's it... you get a perfect replacement brush back on your part. They'll match the type of bristle or suggest an improvement. Their phone number is 516-741-6000. You want the "industrial" department.
            Good luck!
            ¬óGrover Gatewood
            Iron Horse Graphics, Ltd.
            P.S. I'm not familiar with Tanis Brush but judging from their web site they look like an excellent company.

            To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 17, 2010
              Eric

              This is a good suggestion. A brush cleaning tool will greatly improve the effectiveness of a brush whose tuft pattern is disturbed, and greatly prolong the life of the brush. If the brush hasn't been cleaned in this manner and the tufts are attached to the brush plate floor, you will indeed raise a great deal of hardened photopolymer, and it will take more than a few baths to clear out all the debris that has been kicked up. A $3.99 tool that can save a $700 tool isn't a bad investment.