How do you replace bumper springs?

  • Heather Mitchell
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2010
      Both of my bumper springs have broken in half on my Vandercook #4. I ordered two new springs from Fritz, but I can't seem to get the old spring out of the bumper block. Is it screwed in there? Any tips would be helpful?

      Thanks!
      Heather
    • Michael Dacey
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2010
        On my SP20 the springs are pressure fit - took a little work with some needlenose vice grips to get the broken spring out.

        -Mike Dacey

        Repeat Press
        Custom Letterpress Printing

        9 Olive Square
        Somerville, MA 02143
        617.299.0918
        www.repeatpress.com

        On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Heather Mitchell <justvandy@...> wrote:

        Both of my bumper springs have broken in half on my Vandercook #4. I ordered two new springs from Fritz, but I can't seem to get the old spring out of the bumper block. Is it screwed in there? Any tips would be helpful?

        Thanks!
        Heather

      • Bill Denham
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2010
          When that happened on our Vandercook 4, I removed the blocks, by removing the two bolts that held it firmly to the track, to make the operation easier. I thought the spring had broken because the block had become lose and I hadn't noticed it. My foggy memory is the holes in the block were slightly tapered, getting a bit smaller at the bottom of the hole. I don't remember having difficulty getting the broken spring out but as we were in the middle of a print run, I went to a local machine shop for replacement springs which were not quite the same circumference and required a couple of shims to hold them in place. They have worked as intended ever since and now I occasionally check the block bolts.

          Bill

          Both of my bumper springs have broken in half on my Vandercook #4. I ordered two new springs from Fritz, but I can't seem to get the old spring out of the bumper block. Is it screwed in there? Any tips would be helpful?

          Thanks!
          Heather

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional