Re: New To Group - LARGE photopolymer plates

  • sculptarimx <gary@mozaya.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6 1:40 PM
      Sorry Gerald - My first day here and I am already confusing - it
      usually takes me a whole week for that!

      Maybe I'm in the wrong group. The liquid photopolymer resin is mostly
      used for flexographic printing (but I see all sorts of other uses on
      this site). It is also used for making rubber stamps. You typically
      make your own backing sheet, shine the bright UV light through the
      acetate sheet (or more typically transparency), on a sheet of glass -
      anything 'clear' becomes solid (well, durometer 50 'rubber' really in
      my application), anything 'black' will not be developed and washes
      away with water. The trouble is, that it is far from this simple and
      I would appreciate advice.

      Once I have the plate, it will withstand the heat of wax, I will
      pour the hot wax, take it out of the plate and refine the wax model.
      Ultimately it will become a mold for casting 'imitation' mosaic,
      which is beyond the discussion focus of this forum.
    • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6 11:44 PM
        Hi again

        Ha! not so fast. Sometimes we overlook possibilities. I only know a
        little bit about liguid photopolymer. Here (on this list), I suppose
        it would be "old technology," but I do see a lot of experimenting with
        it in printmaking, and there is some amazing work happening.

        My interest in your mention of wax has to do with the potential for
        creating three-dimensional dies, probably using something like you are
        doing as a master. Just floating around an idea here.

        Thanks for your input

        Gerald

      • typetom@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7 12:16 AM
          Hi Gary,
          I think Fritz Klinke at NA Graphics (nagraph@...) sells liquid
          photopolymer. I use pre-made steel-backed plates that have a relief of .060"
          of polymer, so I don't have any experience with exposure times or wash-out
          for the liquid polymer of greater thickness. This stuff makes great printing
          plates -- sounds like you are on to an interesting use for it as well.
          Best wishes, Tom

          Tom Parson
          Now It's Up To You Publications
          157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
          (303) 777-8951
          http://members.aol.com/typetom
        • Ed Inman
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7 11:11 AM
            I'd like to know more about liquid photopolymer as well. I was once told
            there is a process where, after exposure, the unexposed liquid photopolymer
            can be blown off the plate with high pressure air and recycled, as opposed
            to washed down the drain and wasted.

            Has anyone else heard of this process?

            Ed