Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Plate & Roller Cleaning . . . and Ink

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 12, 2010
      Hi Jason

      Thanks again. Yes, fine brushes and microfiber cloth are definitely a part of the solution. And a compressed air can!!! I buy this stuff by the carton as I can no longer fathom processing or printing plates without.

      On 11/12/10 7:15 AM, jason wagner wrote:
      Anytime, Gerald! I have one of their brushes and use it often, so far so good. Flexowipes do the trick but I've also been using microfiber rags as a finishing step for lint-free plates. Glad to hear its working out for you too.

      Best,
      Jason

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 13, 2010
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:

        > Not quite the right assumption. Not an either or situation with
        > flexographic plates. There are water wash out flexo plates.>

        I was also forgetting the liquid photopolymer used in rubber stamps, washed in water/detergent, and using water based stamp inks.

        > Photopolymer plates, because of the post-exposure, are somewhat
        > resilient to water. Technically speaking, they are non-soluble because
        > of the molecular change imparted by the UV. I usually print damp and
        > that has never posed a problem. I've put a fully processed Toyobo
        > Printight plate in a bowl of water and after a few days only saw an
        > eruption in spots coming through the floor of the base from the adhesive
        > layer (between floor and backing).

        For amusement I have taken reject plates and soaked off all the letters. And it is indeed the adhesive layer that goes, but there can also be degredation to the image. Maybe that's just from the stresses of delaminating.
        --Eric Holub, SF
      • Kim Vanderheiden
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 14, 2010
          I think it's both amusing and admirable that each of you has thrown an
          old plate in water long term just to see what it did. I had thought it
          would dissolve, because of my experiences with Solarplate materiel,
          which is just another type of photopolymer plate designed for intaglio
          instead of relief. I have seen water droplets hit those plates after
          post exposure and cause deterioration without even having very
          prolonged contact. That was an earlier formula of Solarplate, not the
          current one.

          Is water insolubility after post exposure really across the board on
          all letterpress photopolymer plates, or only certain brands? Now that
          I've heard that at least some forms of photopolymer do not remain
          water soluble, I shall have to experiment with mine. I switched
          recently to Nyloprint. It would also be interesting to test the
          current Solarplate formula.

          Inquiring minds want to know!

          Kim Vanderheiden
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 14, 2010
            I recently soaked some plastic-backed plates (bough unexposed from BoxCar in 2008) which had curled badly, on the theory that if the shrinking of the polymer which causes curling is from gradual continued drying over a year or more, then re-wetting should help relax the curl.

            In fact it did so very nicely. I left the plates, (originally processed in 2008, iirc) covered in water overnight.

            They didn't flatten completely, but relaxed back to a very manageable curl.
            I put them in the Interflex dryer for a few minutes, and they looked fine.

            Last night (about a week or so later) I got 'em stuck down on the base very nicely, and printed without any problem at all.