Printing on wood

  • Allison
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2010
      Hi,

      I was wondering if anyone knew much about printing on wood veneer, and a good vendor to go through?

      I have always been curious about printing on textures, and have been seeing more, and more letterpress printing on wood veneer, I think it looks exciting.

      I have researched a little online, and it seems that veneer is very expensive, but maybe that was just research I did. I was hoping to find an somewhat affordable printing material in various options, so any suggestions would be lovely!

      Thanks

      Allison
    • Lindsay Stadig
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2010
        Hi Allison,

        I have not printed on it myself, but at a print fair there were some examples and I picked up a sample book because I plan to order some for a project--

        Hiromi Paper International  - they are based out of CA

        look up "Paperwood" on their site.  The samples I have are really beautiful.

        www.hiromipaper.com

        let me know how it works if you use it.

      • Rod
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2010
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allison.cornu@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I was wondering if anyone knew much about printing on wood veneer, and a good vendor to go through?
          >
          > I have always been curious about printing on textures, and have been seeing more, and more letterpress printing on wood veneer, I think it looks exciting.
          >
          > I have researched a little online, and it seems that veneer is very expensive, but maybe that was just research I did. I was hoping to find an somewhat affordable printing material in various options, so any suggestions would be lovely!
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Allison

          We use a 40 durometer liquid photopolymer to print on wooden
          tokens. The softness and flexibiity conform nicely to the
          texture.

          Have fun!

          Rod
        • nohogallery@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2010
            How about printing on a wood grain paper? We have done it and with
            good results.

            Here is a link to a great new wood grain paper...just scroll down to
            the bottom.

            http://www.gpcpapers.com/new.cfm

            Have fun

            Bill Muller
            Big Wheel Press

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2010
              Albert Constantine is the woodworkers' source for veneer.  Real veneer is very thin and comes in irregular sheets that are about 8" by 36".    It is meant to be firmly glued to a solid substrate such as inexpensive wood or chipboard.  It splits easily along the grain.  By itself it won't hold up.  I can't imagine printing on it, but if you must you should give it some kind of backing such as paper, plastic or cloth.
              I think previous posts have mentioned some kind of veneer that is sold with a backing attached.
              David