Re: Just starting out and seeking to pick your brain...muahahahaha (sorry Halloween)

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
      Amber

      I have some information here that might be of interest (and a manual):

      http://Bielerpressxi.blogspot.com

      Letterpress configured plates have a limited range of hardness. There are plates being sold that do not meet this specification.

      Not sure why you are looking for an alternative to Boxcar but Elum Designs (in San Diego) is their main competitor. I offer processing of polyester-backed plates as well in the .038 configuration but my market for processing is largely configured to clients in Southern California (except for friends who have wandered afar, or just wandered in for one reason or another. I have a non-aggressive sales policy—what do you want, what do you need?).

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Amber Ellis-Seguine <amber@...> wrote:

      > Thank you in advance for any information you are all willing to share.
      > I recently purchased an Interflex A4, I have the manual, but beside
      > that what would any of you recommend me reading to figure out how to
      > make good plates? What do you suggest I start of trying to make, as
      > far as images go? I would assume fine lines with block type would be a
      > lot harder to make a plate for then something that is relatively
      > moderate and even across the plate? (I am thinking of this process
      > like developing pictures, where "dogging and burning" is necessary for
      > different areas of the photograph) Clearly I have VERY VERY limited
      > knowledge on these machines. But I tend to catch on quickly and I am
      > not afraid to do the research.
      >
      > And of course the usual question, if I use sticky back plates do you
      > suggest buying them from some one other then Boxcar? Do you prefer a
      > certain hardness?
      >
      > Thank you all so much!
      > Amber

      > Amber Ellis-Seguine
      > www.flywheelpress.com
      > 650.468.9537
      > 650.347.4066

    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2010
        Amber

        Misread your post. If you are looking for a source for raw photopolymer plates, first go to the manufacturer. Then go to their primary distributors. You might even get a better price from a secondary distributor if there is some kind of sweet heart deal going on. Begs the question though, which brand of photopolymer plates are you interested in?