An intro and a request.

  • frogkcdi
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2010
      I've been lurking for a while, but now have a problem I thought someone on this list might be able to help me with.

      I'm in NW Montana. I quit doing tax prep after 18 years as an independent and now spasmodically operate an intensely private digital press (for now) printing things that interest me when I'm not working as the (volunteer) archivist for the Conrad Mansion Museum in Kalispell, doing historical research and other things. I'm also a biblionut.

      Now, here's my request: I have a copy of a book printed by Will Ransom in 1923 and am trying to identify the paper upon which it was printed.

      It is a laid paper with two watermarks. One is of a bull, rampant, facing left with the word "Italia" below it and the second is a monogram of "P Co" surrounded by a double circle. Wish I had images to show, but alas, I do not.

      Can anyone out there enlighten me??? Sure hope so.

      -- Richard L. Hardesty
      Rising Wolf Press
      Hungry Horse, Montana
    • Selene F
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2010
        Have you tried the Gravell Watermark archive?

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 28, 2010
          If you can't find help here, you might contact the Newberry Library in
          Chicago. They have a large collection of his work plus his original
          journals.
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
          Jessica Spring
          http://www.springtidepress.com

        • dpbrewster@prodigy.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 28, 2010
            The bull rampant (said to symbolize strength and patience) has been used as a watermark in many papers since the middle ages all across Europe in place such as Bruges, Nuremburg and Heidelberg. In Italy alone, there are examples of this watermark from Rome, Venice, Ravenna and Bologna.

            In a 20th century context, the "P Co" to me would possibly suggest a papermaking operation in Pioraco, which is now part of the Cartiere Miliani Fabriano group of papermakers, but this is truly a guess. Papermaking in the Marches region of Italy has been going on since the 13th century.

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "frogkcdi" <frogkcdi@...> wrote:

            > I've been lurking for a while, but now have a problem I thought someone on this list might be able to help me with.
            >
            > I'm in NW Montana. I quit doing tax prep after 18 years as an independent and now spasmodically operate an intensely private digital press (for now) printing things that interest me when I'm not working as the (volunteer) archivist for the Conrad Mansion Museum in Kalispell, doing historical research and other things. I'm also a biblionut.
            >
            > Now, here's my request: I have a copy of a book printed by Will Ransom in 1923 and am trying to identify the paper upon which it was printed.
            >
            > It is a laid paper with two watermarks. One is of a bull, rampant, facing left with the word "Italia" below it and the second is a monogram of "P Co" surrounded by a double circle. Wish I had images to show, but alas, I do not.
            >
            > Can anyone out there enlighten me??? Sure hope so.
            >
            > -- Richard L. Hardesty
            > Rising Wolf Press
            > Hungry Horse, Montana

          • Richard Hardesty
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 30, 2010
              My thanks for your responses. They have been helpful. I have an inquiry with the Newberry and am awaiting their reply, which might take a while. (They get busy.)

              -- Richard