Re: Prepress-ready PDFs

  • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
      wrote:
      > Is this related to Linotype's face called "Monticello"?
      >
      > --Phillip Driscoll

      Phillip

      Here is a URL that will provide some information:

      http://printinghistory.org/htm/news/national/carter-creesy.htm

      The Carter face is based on a Binny & Ronaldson, which was later the
      inspiration for the Linotype. I don't know if Linotype had previously
      issued this in digital form.

      Gerald
    • Paul W Romaine <romaine@pipeline.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
        Phillip,
        Yes! It's more than related to the Linotype "Monticello" type.
        Princeton University press commissioned a digital version from Matthew
        Carter and it will be licensed through Linotype. Should be out soon.

        "Monticello" is based upon Binny & Ronaldson's Roman no. 1 and ATF's
        "Oxford" (itself an adaption of B&R's Roman). It was named
        "Monticello" in tribute to Jefferson, who wrote approvingly of the B&R
        type in an 1822 letter. The American Printing History Association) has
        asked Carter and Charles Creesy from Princeton to speak about the
        history and adapation of the type at a Feb 25 lecture in New York at
        the Grolier Club. Details at the APHA website
        http://www.printinghistory.org/

        Best,
        Paul
        (who is also VP for Membership for APHA)

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Driscoll" <phild@a...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
          Gerald,
          Sorry for duplication in responses.

          I don't know if Linotype had previously digitized. I understand that
          Princeton University Press had a "crude Postscript version" for TyX
          setting, which was "unruly in Windows." Originally intended for
          proofing, PUP had produced the last few volumes of the Jefferson
          Papers in it because they had no alternative. I guess they could have
          switched to Bell or a similar Scotch Roman, or, more likely a Caslon
          or Baskerville.

          Matthew told me that he started with... oh, wait for the lecture. It's
          wonderful to hear how he used rare books to inform his re-working of
          his starting material.

          Best,
          Paul

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange <bieler@w...>"